PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a difference between Rowaphos and Phosban? I'm reading that Rowaphos is much more effective but a friend of mine at my local LFS said they are the same exact thing and there is no difference.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I wouldn't say they are the same exact thing, but they are essentially the same thing processed a little differently. Both work well, and on a practical level unless you are the kind of reefer who likes to split hairs over very minor differences between quality products, they are inter-changeable.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't say they are the same exact thing, but they are essentially the same thing processed a little differently. Both work well, and on a practical level unless you are the kind of reefer who likes to split hairs over very minor differences between quality products, they are inter-changeable.

I see. I never understand why some will say it is totally different when apparently, it seems they are pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ferric oxide is ferric oxide. Like Randy, said it boils down to processing. There may be minute differences between the two and some other sources might be of a lesser quality as far as what other compounds or elements might be found in trace amounts. I've personally used several brands from rowa to generic online types and I can't say there is a huge difference between them (without the use of lab equipment). I do believe that the rowa and phosban are better than some of the other brands based solely on the fact that I haven't had rowa clump or breakdown on me. I've seen phosban clump but never really seen it breakdown significantly. It's up to you, as long as you are using an iron based media and not aluminium it shouldn't be something to lose sleep over.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: