PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had to vacuum the top layer of my sand to siphon out cyano and over time, I lost quite a bit and I am looking to replace it. I read that adding live sand (comes wet in a bag) will cause a mini cycle and and I also read that it won't because the amount of bacteria in one bag is minimal. Will I be safe adding one bag of live sand?

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
You didn't say how big your tank is but I put in 2 cups of new, dry sand every water change (weekend) in my 20 gallon until I used up my 5lb bag with no cycle or visible param changes. IMO you'd be wasting your money with live sand. I added slowly to be safe.

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
just be careful to spread it out when you add the new sand. If you dump it in one spot it can foul the sand underneath it and cause a nitrite/ammonia spike.

Since you were asking how to add live sand and not "is live sand good?", Id say take the bag of live sand and pour some into a bowl then lower the bowl to the bottom of the tank and slowly pour it out avoiding covering any area too much. If you keep your sand bed really clean and have a good skimmer you can agitate the sand bed after you add the new sand to mix it up and avoid dead spots from occuring If you have a lot of delicate corals or you know your sand is kinda gunky I wouldnt stir it up, but the lfs by me used to take a bag cut open a corner, submerge the whole bag and then cut the bottom so it just spilled out. It clouded up the tank for a few hours but by the next day the skimmer had taken care of it.

gl!!

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since you were asking how to add live sand and not "is live sand good?", Id say take the bag of live sand and pour some into a bowl then lower the bowl to the bottom of the tank and slowly pour it out avoiding covering any area too much. If you keep your sand bed really clean and have a good skimmer you can agitate the sand bed after you add the new sand to mix it up and avoid dead spots from occuring If you have a lot of delicate corals or you know your sand is kinda gunky I wouldnt stir it up, but the lfs by me used to take a bag cut open a corner, submerge the whole bag and then cut the bottom so it just spilled out. It clouded up the tank for a few hours but by the next day the skimmer had taken care of it.

gl!!

Well, I didn 't ask how to add live sand but I still do appreciate the advice. I use the pvc pipe method. Let me tell you, it was not easy because I rinsed the sand first so the sand was wet and clumpy. I took a empty poland spring bottle, cut the bottom out and duct taped the spout onto the end of the pcv pipe. It still wasn't easy getting that clumped sand into there but it worked. If it got stuck in the pipe, I just took a cup of tank water and poured to clear it. So I am under the impression that some of you don't rinse dry sand?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: