yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm sad to see my purple algae being overtaken by the red algae.
The new live rocks that have been in there for about a month are now growing purple and red algae.

Those turf looking things are starting to concern me though.
What do you guys think?
TIA

Attachments

• 2011-11-17_20-59-01_871.jpg
    2011-11-17_20-59-01_871.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 171

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can try 'seeding' the tank with more of the purple coralline algae. Take one of your rocks (or buy another one at the LFS with the color you want on it) and literally scrape some off the rock so it circulates in your tank. You won't get rid of all of the red but it will help the purple take a stronger foot hold.

..the green stuff is undesirable algae. Your water parameters aren't spot on. Do more frequent & larger water changes, do not overfeed the tank.
Do you have a clean-up crew in there at all?

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
You can try 'seeding' the tank with more of the purple coralline algae. Take one of your rocks (or buy another one at the LFS with the color you want on it) and literally scrape some off the rock so it circulates in your tank. You won't get rid of all of the red but it will help the purple take a stronger foot hold.

..the green stuff is undesirable algae. Your water parameters aren't spot on. Do more frequent & larger water changes, do not overfeed the tank.
Do you have a clean-up crew in there at all?

After thinking i can get away without a sump. I setup a sump this past weekend. 10 gallon sump for my 20 gallon tank. Added a skimmer and cheato to the sump as well. I've been doing 5 gallon water changes every week with RO/DI water ofcourse.
I have about 5 turbo snails. 3 little snails And 4 crabs.
1 anemone crab currently hosting the anemone. 1 sexy shrimp.
1 puffer shrimp.

ph. 8.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 -25 ppm
kh. 161 ppm
calcium 420

Attachments

• 2011-11-13_21-44-01_306.jpg
    2011-11-13_21-44-01_306.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 151

yogi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
That green turf algae is the devil.

Even if all your tests say the water is perfect, if you've got algae growing, there's more phosphate and nitrate in the water than you want.

Ok i will do a 15 Gallon water change this weekend.
And see about getting a GFO and Carbon reactor.
I just did another test this morning. Nitrate reading over 20ppm.
:argue: That's me arguing with myself. LMAO

Need a phosphate tester. Keep forgetting to buy a kit.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
+1 on the Phosphate and Nitrate that's the cause of your green hair algae and it is a pain to get rid of but your lucky its not a lot yet so you can get it out but also like Kathyc said get some more rock with more purple on it and keep your calcium levels steady and after a while it will take off your tank is still pretty new give it some time eventually the purple will grow everywhere and that will also help keep out all the bad algae since it will use up all the nutrients that other algae needs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: