PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I live in a building and my apartment gets real hot some times
I noticed my temp at 86 the other day tank runs hot it's a red sea 66 gallon

Also my tank moves when I walk by it

And my tank is aliitle off leaning to the back

I don't know what to do

move out before something bad will happen! it's not too late yet!!!!!!!!LOL...
I live in one of this hot apt,but I keep my window open all year long to keep it cool and moving tank is not good sign will put extra stress on you tank!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My guess is that your tank is running parallel with the floor joists, in the middle of the span. Not a good combination for a fish tank.

I would re-locate the tank. What you need to look for is preferably, an exterior wall (or interior bearing wall), and orient the tank so that it sits perpendicular to the floor beams.

You can also anchor the tank to the wall behind it.

Russ

nycitaliano9

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
My guess is that your tank is running parallel with the floor joists, in the middle of the span. Not a good combination for a fish tank.

I would re-locate the tank. What you need to look for is preferably, an exterior wall (or interior bearing wall), and orient the tank so that it sits perpendicular to the floor beams.

You can also anchor the tank to the wall behind it.

Russ

The spot I have it in is the only spot I can have the tank

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I guess I'm screwed I can't move tank I'm wondering if I should shim the tank it's only off by an inCh

:eek:

1" in probably 4' is a HUGE amount out of level. DO NOT SHIM THE TANK. You need to shim the base of the stand along the entire length that it is out of level, not one spot.

I would also anchor the tank to the wall if you're saying you can't find another location for the tank. A bouncy floor is a recipe for disaster.

Russ

rwells

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
233   0   0
I have 180gl and my floor was off 2" so I made a complete base for mine. Use 6' level on the floor take measurement and cut 3 x 4 to size. Once base is complete just anchor it to the floor. Use Composite Shims if needed after that.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You don't happen to live in Astoria do you. I know some of the flooring of some of those buildings weren't built to support fish tanks. A few years ago, a friend of mine had is 40 gallon african tank fall through his floor and crash into the apartment below his. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: