Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If anyone has followed me the past couple of months, my tank crashed and I restarted completely from scratch. So far I have my clean-up crew and 3 Red Fire Shrimp. Also have some mangroves and a couple small corals that survived my crash.

I wanted to do something different this time around.... so my idea is a "Mated Pairs" of unusual fish. I will be going with Seahorses and Mandarins to start. Are there any other fish/inverts that can be housed with these two species as mated pairs? Would Pipefish breed as well?

I've done a lot of research on seahorses but still not 100% sure on how many or what kind I will get yet. I have time though as I don't plan to add anything to the tank for another month or two when it's more established. I also need to read up more on live brine or mysis shrimp.

I've had Mandarins before and they've always done well in my tanks (living >1 year) with no training on what to eat. I know I can keep a pair of mated Mandarins but if they are the same sex they will fight. So... my question is could I keep a mated pair of each type of Mandarin or would they fight? I'm not sure if they would be considered con-specifics or not as they are different species. Any help appreciated as always :)

Green Mandarin - (Synchiropus splendidus)
Red Mandarin - (Pterosynchiropus splendidus var.)
Spotted Mandarin - (Synchiropus picturatus)

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
The spotted I was training attacked my personal blue mandarin that was 3 times his size the second i put him into my dt so I don't think subgenera are compatible.

If anyone has followed me the past couple of months, my tank crashed and I restarted completely from scratch. So far I have my clean-up crew and 3 Red Fire Shrimp. Also have some mangroves and a couple small corals that survived my crash.

I wanted to do something different this time around.... so my idea is a "Mated Pairs" of unusual fish. I will be going with Seahorses and Mandarins to start. Are there any other fish/inverts that can be housed with these two species as mated pairs? Would Pipefish breed as well?

I've done a lot of research on seahorses but still not 100% sure on how many or what kind I will get yet. I have time though as I don't plan to add anything to the tank for another month or two when it's more established. I also need to read up more on live brine or mysis shrimp.

I've had Mandarins before and they've always done well in my tanks (living >1 year) with no training on what to eat. I know I can keep a pair of mated Mandarins but if they are the same sex they will fight. So... my question is could I keep a mated pair of each type of Mandarin or would they fight? I'm not sure if they would be considered con-specifics or not as they are different species. Any help appreciated as always :)

Green Mandarin - (Synchiropus splendidus)
Red Mandarin - (Pterosynchiropus splendidus var.)
Spotted Mandarin - (Synchiropus picturatus)

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
If you still want to try, I would try putting the spotted in the main tank and then a red or blue in one of those acrylic hang on boxes and watch their behavior. in my limited experience with mandarins I've always seen the targets to be the aggressor.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you still want to try, I would try putting the spotted in the main tank and then a red or blue in one of those acrylic hang on boxes and watch their behavior. in my limited experience with mandarins I've always seen the targets to be the aggressor.

What do you mean the targets are the agressor... Wouldn't that make them the one targeting??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: