dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello peoples.. Thank you all for your help, extremely great-full for this community.

my tank is on day 3 of its cycle.

Today 2 things that are pressing me which I would like to address

#1) Fine particles..... At first i thought it was sand being kicked up, but after leaving my power heads on, adjusting my water flow on the return pump and taking a very very close look. This is not sand, and it is not micro bubbles.. it looks like some sort of debri and it will not settle or go through the mech filters in my sump (Sock, sponge, carbon, more sponge)

How do I get rid of this so that I can have crystal clear water, without any particles roaming about?

#2) Majano Anemone..... I posted pictures in a previous post, trying to identify 2 things on the LR i got from my LFS.

I got a couple of replies and everytime I got a reply i did research on what the posters guess was that I took a picture of.

I came to the conclusion based on a reply from the user "skene" that this indeed was majano anemone.

On day 1, I could count 2 in my tank.. as of today (3 days later) I can count a total of 7 in my tank.

What is the best way to get rid of these things? I want my tank as healthy as possible after the cycle so that I can start introducing fish and later on corals.

Thank you for your replies.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
You might be able to kill the one you see, but not the one hiding in the rocks, they will keep reporducing. Best way is totally take out the rock and bake it and rinse of. This way your Gurantee. But I can pretty much assure you down the road you will get this back or something else of similar. Good luck!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Likely it is not sand being kicked up, but sand dust that remains in suspension. Very common in a new tank. How much did you rinse the sand (it's near impossible to rinse it all out anyway..just curious)
Do you have a pic?

If you have 7 today , you will have 12 of them by the weekend.
Since the tank is just starting it's cycle, I'd take the rock out and inject vinegar or boiling water directly into the majanos.. Better yet, I would chip the rock away where they are, so you get the base and every CELL of them out of there and then rise the rock like crazy before returning it to the tank.
They are like weeds, get rid of them now.

Where did your rock come from?

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Likely it is not sand being kicked up, but sand dust that remains in suspension. Very common in a new tank. How much did you rinse the sand (it's near impossible to rinse it all out anyway..just curious)
Do you have a pic?

Since the tank is just starting it's cycle, I'd take the rock out and inject vinegar or boiling water directly into the majanos.. Better yet, I would chip the rock away where they are, so you get the base and every CELL of them out of there and then rise the rock like crazy before returning it to the tank.

I picked up from Maximum Reefs in Yonkers. They broke down their Coral tank to turn into a frag tank.

I will take out the infected rock today and try the vinegar / boiling water injections..

I will also take pics of the particles in my tank and upload them tonight when i get home from work. Thanks for your help and suggestions

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
your tank just started take the rock out and ask for a refund. these are reasons why you start with dry rock.

btw. maybe its easier to stay on one thread then making multiple new ones. easier to track responses and future questions.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
it's not, i counted on 2 rocks this morning. on opposite sides of the tank.

How do you guys feel about Red Sea Aptasia-X or Joes Juice?

I was looking at the Majano wand, but that's kind of expensive.

How sure are you that they are not on other rocks hiding in crevices? They'll just keep popping out. Those juice can only keep them under control and you need to keep on top of it or it'll keep spreading. Unless you can get a natural preditor that eats them and that's hit or miss.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
are there any natural predators that will eat them and not eat corals ?

it's a hit or miss.....they might or might not chew up your coral. So it's not the best solution for you. Cooperband, filefish, peppermint shrimp, and this nudi thing that might or might not work, that's why i recommend you bake ALL the rocks and restart the cycle. I know the wait is painful but you want to do it right. BUT again, even if you start from dry rocks like me, i somewhat, somehow I end up with aptasia.....lol!!! So you can make that decision.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have a pic?

KathyC, here are some pics up close and from afar.

96991467.jpg

51704581.jpg

50339896.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Also,

Lets say, I take out the LR... and cycle with just sand, water and shrimp..

When i put in Rock again, will the tank go through another cycle?

Yes it would cycle again, unless you cycle the rock in a separate container after you cook it. The rocks will hold the bulk of your bacteria.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
are there any natural predators that will eat them and not eat corals ?

There are natural predators, sometimes they don't do what you want them too. By the time your tank cycles, your rock would be infested. I cycled rock in brutes in my garage, did water changes as if reg. tank set up. Since the tank is so new I would take it all out and cook it like someone suggested earlier. I know it six, but only been three days, the effort now will be make it better in long run. Good luck
If you don't have a brute container you can pick one up at hd, lil pricey but worth it. I'd say you could borrow one of mine but im NJ, available if want it

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
ok guys ill tell from experience if that aptasia on those rock that every reefers worse nightmare as a pest at least it my worse nightmare i spend about 600$$to rid my tank of aptasia and trust me its no walk in the park eather if i was u i would just take the rocks out and eather return them if u can or kill the pest ur self by the time ur ready to start throw some corals in ur tank there will be a bunch of thses guys and they are no good for bizz they eat multiply and kill ur coral thats next to them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: