Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Went out to the usual places under bridges and such to free dive along the south side and hand net butterflies and see that the usual mussel beds have all died out. I've noticed this past month, while seine at Oak Beach, that the water was warmer. At this time of year end of July, the water is almost hitting 75F, however I think that the cold water flush with the incoming tides were warmer too. Instead of the usual mussel beds, macro and sponges, I see some sponges at about 10 feet, but lots of white die out with fuzzy white growth covering everything above that. There were also just some barnacles. Also with this change, I also observed lots and lots of blue crabs, munching on the barnacles in the shallow water. The crabs were striping the barnacles off the pilons till they were bare, No butterflies to be seen feeding off the mussels.
In the past, the pilons would be covered with mussels and they are cold water creatures. I believe the mussels should be there at this time of year, since by now the butterflies would be dime sized. In a couple of weeks, they would be quarter sized, but I won't be able to collect this year. Its possible the mussel beds are a few feet deeper also, but they would be below my ability to hold my breath that long.
Just to check, I went to the bottom and took a look at the pilons, the sponges and stony corals are still there, a couple of urchins, it looked normal, but very few mussels.
Its also possible there is a blue crab population bloom, and they have eaten all the weakened mussels. Too many possibilities, but the water is pretty warm. Needless to say, warmer water should see an increase in stray tropical fish.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Went out to the usual places under bridges and such to free dive along the south side and hand net butterflies and see that the usual mussel beds have all died out. I've noticed this past month, while seine at Oak Beach, that the water was warmer. At this time of year end of July, the water is almost hitting 75F, however I think that the cold water flush with the incoming tides were warmer too. Instead of the usual mussel beds, macro and sponges, I see some sponges at about 10 feet, but lots of white die out with fuzzy white growth covering everything above that. There were also just some barnacles. Also with this change, I also observed lots and lots of blue crabs, munching on the barnacles in the shallow water. The crabs were striping the barnacles off the pilons till they were bare, No butterflies to be seen feeding off the mussels.
In the past, the pilons would be covered with mussels and they are cold water creatures. I believe the mussels should be there at this time of year, since by now the butterflies would be dime sized. In a couple of weeks, they would be quarter sized, but I won't be able to collect this year. Its possible the mussel beds are a few feet deeper also, but they would be below my ability to hold my breath that long.
Just to check, I went to the bottom and took a look at the pilons, the sponges and stony corals are still there, a couple of urchins, it looked normal, but very few mussels.
Its also possible there is a blue crab population bloom, and they have eaten all the weakened mussels. Too many possibilities, but the water is pretty warm. Needless to say, warmer water should see an increase in stray tropical fish.

I have wanted to go diving in NY but never had the chance... How big are the urchins? I wonder if these are edible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ah the north atlantic purple urchin. They hare omnivores and will catch sleeping killifish, other wise I'd keep them in my tank. Found all the way down to Florida. the ones I see are 4 inches in size. Did I forget to mention, there were blue crabs everywhere? scaring all the gobies and other little fish away.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Snorkeled at Jamaica Bay today, water is about 80 to 85F, found some clingfish gobies and this other blenny/wrasse. More Worm rock, and also included the sample of coral. Should be a brownish color, but this appears very bleached. If anyone knows what blenny this is, let me know. Ah, Chasmodes bosquianus

20200726_194018_1595807050677_resized.jpg20200726_194055_1595807049864_resized.jpg20200726_194236_1595807049263_resized.jpg20200726_194316_1595807048221_resized.jpg20200726_193827_1595807055854_resized.jpg20200726_193905_1595807055133_resized.jpg20200726_193912_1595807053811_resized.jpg20200726_193917_1595807052669_resized.jpg20200726_193927_1595807051491_resized.jpg

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
during high tide slack, when the water stops flowing, I can see 3 to 5 feet. At the opposite extreme, at the nadir of low tide, again when the water stops moving, I can see, but while the water is moving, the visibility is 2 feet or worst. It depends on which way the water is moving, fresh clean seawater coming in, or the murky water going out. Also depends on location, I'm really close to shore, under bridges and such, where muddy water moves quickly. Out to sea, visibility can be pretty good, since I know a few spear fisherman.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Finally identified the sea cucumbers found while clamming last summer on the south shore. I just saw the filter feeding sweepers pop out of my gravel, for seconds before hermit crabs touched it and it retreated below the ground. Until now, I really had no idea what it was eating, how it ate, or what it even looked like when open. It was simply a furry ball or eggplant. So it's a nocturnal filter feeder, a plain looking Sea Apple. They are quite common. I wonder if I should collect more next year for trades. They are the size of a chicken egg.

Sclerodactyla briareus​

1611809095652.png

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Very cool animal and would be a good addition to a local water tank clean up crew. It being from our waters it’s probably very hardy and able to with stand the low salinity and temperature fluctuations, but personally I wouldn’t put one in my reef due to the fact that most cucumbers spit out their insides as a defense mechanism and what unknown toxins it may release like a Sea Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ah, I see, though I don't have anything to attack the cucumber, as a matter of fact, when collecting them last summer, I did a lot of squeezing and such, heh. no effect. I'm going to see how it goes, possibly collect a few more for trades next summer. I believe this guys primary defense is the toughness of its hide. Very rubbery. If only there was some way I could give it some color.
Uploaded a clip of it feeding.

Attachments

• hairy.jpg
    hairy.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: