Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi guys, I recently been reading about this bluethroat trigger. Its really nice and I really like it. It appears to be the only somewhat reef safe trigger according to many. But how reef safe is it exactly? Will it eat corals? (I heard they go after the CUC)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Hi guys, I recently been reading about this bluethroat trigger. Its really nice and I really like it. It appears to be the only somewhat reef safe trigger according to many. But how reef safe is it exactly? Will it eat corals? (I heard they go after the CUC)

I have had Bluethroats, Crosshatches, Niger, and Sargasams in my reef tank. The only problems I had were with the Niger and The Bluethroat. The Niger was just getting aggressive towards other tankmates and the Bluethroat was picking up frags and shot putting them....lol. With that being said In my experience with these triggers I have never had any that eat corals. I do feel that this is a fish that is a hit or miss regarding the aggresion. However, the ones I listed above are the least aggressive of the Family.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you. So this might sound like a dumb question, but would the size of the coral matter?? Would it nip at only small newly cut frags? I really wanna know if I should get one cause one of my good friends on the upper west side wants to give me one for free, because he doesnt want it anymore. I actually went there one day and that is one beautiful fish.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well currently I have a chromi, a pair of clowns, a sleeperhead goby, cleaner wrasse, and a yellow tang (very small 1.5-2 inches).....I told my friend and he told me that the yellow tang might get aggressive to it because of territory.

My tank is 55 gallon, and the bluethroat is about 2.5-3 inches

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I dont like recomending fish that will outgrow your tank. Yes at the moment this fish will be fine at that size but it will outgrow your tank. And yellow tangs get quite large as well and will outgrow your tank also.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I got them at a very small size. Once I see it begins to outgrow the tank, I will definitely sell/trade it.

But just want to make sure...so that thing wont eat all my corals right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: