chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So what's the difference tween these 2 tanks? One has a skimmer and the other chaeto? I read somewhere that the fuge should be same elevation as tank but have seen plenty below with sump. I guess a fuge has lighting. Is one supposed to be bigger? Can u combine the 2? What % run sump or fuge or both? Don't recall ever seeing one of those polls asking the question.

I did a couple forum searches but didn't spot any similar discussions. So my apologies if asking question already asked. Would appreciate clue where can be found.

Thanks in advance

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
a sump is the actual tank. the fuge is just a baffle that you can add chaeto and stuff to.
So what's the difference tween these 2 tanks? One has a skimmer and the other chaeto? I read somewhere that the fuge should be same elevation as tank but have seen plenty below with sump. I guess a fuge has lighting. Is one supposed to be bigger? Can u combine the 2? What % run sump or fuge or both? Don't recall ever seeing one of those polls asking the question.

I did a couple forum searches but didn't spot any similar discussions. So my apologies if asking question already asked. Would appreciate clue where can be found.

Thanks in advance

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
A refugium is a way for live rock,microalgae,copods,amphipods,
Ect. to live,populate and help out in the filtration of your tank. but I do suggest in always having a skimmer too.
But I'm bad at explaining in detail so please somebody chime in and add some more info :)

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
A sump is more or less partial biological filtration only. Usage of bioballs/live rock rubble in place, filtration pad. You can also use mechanical filtration as well like carbon or such. With little breakdown in detritus this can become a nitrate factory which would be more harmful to inverts and corals as waste tends to be collected only and builds up along time.
A refugium relies on more biological filtration such as sand, critters, live rock, algae to filter/breakdown and consume or break down waste and detritus.

give or take...

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
lol i was just typing that but you beat me to it haha well heres an example of one
P1010193.jpg

P1010180.jpg

P1010178.jpg

A refugium is a way for live rock,microalgae,copods,amphipods,
Ect. to live,populate and help out in the filtration of your tank. but I do suggest in always having a skimmer too.
But I'm bad at explaining in detail so please somebody chime in and add some more info :)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
a sump is where your equipment goes,reactors return pumps,filter sock.skimmer,heater etc.a refugium is where you put macro algae to help out your nitrates and builds up pod populations and small critter that not only clean your system but are used for natural live foods.i have a 3 tank system.my refugium is 20 gallons and thats where the DT water drains into then the refugium drains into my sump back to the DT.its not the same height of my tank its below.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
A sump is simply defined as the lowest point in a system where fluid collects.
A refugium is a confined area where things can grow without the fear of becoming prey.
What we do with those two is what makes all the difference.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is great feedback because

i get to hear all the different ways this is being handled....

and means you guys are both creative and...

and making it up as you go...

and then i dont feel so overwhelmed.

Thanks everyone

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
a fuge is a place where things can grow & thrive without the fear of being prey.... ie pods, etc. the thick sand bed (6"+) & rocks won't be disturbed which is important in nitrate reduction b/c in order for nitrates to be broken down, the nitrifying bacteria needs a low-oxygen environment to grow & thrive.

My fuge is seperate from my sump.
My overflow from the DT drains into the sump chamber 1 which has my skimmer. From there it goes through foam & LR after a baffle then flows into chamber 2 which has a pump that's tee'd off: 1 end goes to the reactors...the other end drains into the fuge...the fuge water is returned into the collection area & then the last pump is my return pump back to the DT.

sump by definition is the lowest part where water collects.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
dont get defensive about "making it up while you go". its free form enough that everybody seems to come up with their own unique ways more from necessity than preplanning. something doesnt fit exactly right or reach or do just what you want....so you figure out how to make it work.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
YOU:i get to hear all the different ways this is being handled....

ME:HANDLED: makes it sound like we trying to find a fix to a problem, we not. Its what works for our system.

YOU:and means you guys are both creative and...
making it up as you go...

ME:MAKE IT UP AS WE GO: you must be kidding, there's lots of study and research that goes into what works for our system, we just don't wing it!

It's the way you word it, that makes it sound like we just guessing it.
And that's far from the case .

Love pease and harmony :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: