mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, there ya go. I wrote a pretty lengthy commentary on this for Reef Builders - http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/01/sb58 ... st-hawaii/

It seems certain people keep thinking that bans cannot happen, or that if I'm out there saying it could happen, I'm doing so because as a fish breeder, it makes my captive bred fish more profitable, and thus implying I'd WANT it to happen. Frankly, as a breeder, I need WC fish, so no, bans are not the answer. Sustainable collection, ensuring access to broodstock, is where I think we need to head. But we can't get there if they're going to just outright ban the trade.

You have about 24 hours to submit testimony / commentary to the State legislature. Instructions on how to do so are at the bottom of the public hearing page - http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20 ... 03-11_.HTM

FWIW,

Matt

spawner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club, being accused of being the evil aquaculture guy, just trying to hurt the poor fisherman. Simple minded people that don't understand the situation. You must learn to laugh in said when this comes up.

The real issue here Matt is that the fisherman, industry leaders, fishery managers and such in the US (here Hawaii) have not done enough in the past 15 years to avoid such a hard clash, in fact they have ensured it would happen. As long as you have a system were someone can come in and undercut the good actors, we'll never be free from lingering issues that snorkel bob and others attack. These are real issues and are not being addressed and if this ban happens we have no one to blame other than ourselves as an industry that is always trying to source a cheaper fish. Another issue is the industry is a sleep, Maui rules just voted on went almost entirely unnoticed here and just about everywhere. That was their test case and area to build momentum for a larger push, your seeing just a small part of that push now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: