justincredabel

Experienced Reefer
Word up. Over the years Hydrogen Peroxide has been adopted by a growing number of reef hobbyists.
I've utilized it in my profession for the last decade, and have heard great feedback from hobbyists, as well as a lot of questions. Lots of questions.
Peroxide is indeed an extremely useful tool in most aquariums, and for dipping and quarantining.

Anyone out there been using Hydrogen Peroxide successfully?
Chime in and let us know how it worked for you.

Have any questions that have come up during your usage?

Haven't started, but want more info before you go for it?

justincredabel

Experienced Reefer
Just to get this info posted right away:
Initial dosing for fully stocked reef with SPS (Acros and SPS are the most sensitive group of coral to peroxide dosing)

I like to dose with a dosing pump or gravity fed drip to provide steady dosing when possible.
I have several systems where I do just add it in all once. I will also sometimes use a pipette to add my daily dose to a particular trouble area with algae or Cyano.

Amounts are for 3% strength peroxide.
Week 1: 1ml per 30 gallons per day
Week 2: 1 ml per 20 gallons per day
Week 3: 1 ml per 10 gallons per day
Week 4: 1 ml per 8 gallons per day
Week 5: 1 ml per 5 gallons per day

You should notice over the weeks that your coral look brighter and more colorful just a little bit, and less algae over time. However keep a close eye on sensitive animals which will be your canary in a coal mine. Acropora and Montiopora will be the first coral to have a negative reaction. At these doses and gradually increasing them to effect would be that they may not open their polyps as much, and become paler. This is an indication that the nutrients in your system have been reduced to the point that excess is staying in solution long effect for it to build up in the coral.

Some SPS dominate tanks with initial low nutrients, and other chemistry factors such as ion ratios, dosing amounts will reach maximum benefits after week 3 with 1ml per 10 gallons.

Tanks with heavier nutrient loads, and different coral species (such as LPS, softies, polyps)
Can often handle 1 ml per 5 gallons, and sometimes higher dosing amounts.

One important note is to observe the system and adjust dosing down if needed. This happens often after the first or second month as built up nutrients are reduced. An older dirtier system may take longer to reach this point. Usually after 3 or 4 months you will find a good long dose for your system, which tends to be between 1 ml per 5-10 gallons.
Some hobbyists with heavily loaded systems have told me they do 1 ml per gallon per day.
However all dosing should be increased slowly and reassessed from time to time to determine if you need to lower daily dosing amounts.

pmoneyt

Advanced Reefer
Reading about this on R2R for Cyano and GHA. Started dosing 1ml per 10 gallons with 3% peroxide.

Its only been a week but I am watching it.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
This is an indication that the nutrients in your system have been reduced to the point that excess is staying in solution long effect for it to build up in the coral.

My understanding was the peroxide helps break down the algae, does it do that by affecting the nutrients? I've done peroxide dips and I did at one time dose a few ml directly in the tank to address some bryposis patches. It was quite effective but also may have hurt some of my SPS at the time. I've mainly used it since then as a dip for zoas/palys. Do you have any recommendations for concentrations when dipping? I just winged it :)

justincredabel

Experienced Reefer
Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to Liters of Seawater Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. ? concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

justincredabel

Experienced Reefer
You can dose peroxide if you are using carbon dosing, the peroxide may slow the growth of bacteria, but has the added benefit of breaking down larger organic molecules which make them easier to be removed from the system, via actived Carbon, GFO, and protein skimming.

Last edited:
Hey Guys after talking with Justin about the use of peroxide and using it on frags, I chose to try it to kick butt on a tank that was a mess! Rock work was covereded in algae. JC recommend a tang and good cleanup crew as well, boy did that work once the algae was weakened! I will add some photos ASAP!

Before: Gross!!
07fea769864a0159e7ace1c2b86bbef3.jpg

15230192a57858cd6d52a5972fab1069.jpg

After!!!
19c31cd0adb4e8c0cc2eac223b6a5746.jpg
c87204325aa1247c98b4a05e7d433567.jpg
e821573a3680b2e931a62a0b8ac65d40.jpg

All frags rocks and corals were dipped including frag rack, with no losses a week out. Actually within a few hours many polyps were open and happy and the spa had polyp extension! Algae didn't show signs of difference for about 24 hrs. Then started to look paler and turned whitish. Tangs and cleanup crew devoured it!

Peroxide totally saved this tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried peroxide on turf algae and did not have much positive result with it. turf is nasty :( I just left it alone as it does not seem to grow over corals like other types of algae.

What method did you use for treating the algae and at what concentration of peroxide to tank water did you use?

I had great success with a approx. 5 to 1 ratio of tank water to 3% peroxide as a dip. I took out all problem rocks/frags and placed them in my solution with a powerhead, let them soak for 5 mins and did a bit of a scrub down then re-rinse in the solution. Within 48hrs. 95-100% of all algae was white and being torn into by my cleanup crew and tangs.

I highly suggest this method!

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
What method did you use for treating the algae and at what concentration of peroxide to tank water did you use?

I had great success with a approx. 5 to 1 ratio of tank water to 3% peroxide as a dip. I took out all problem rocks/frags and placed them in my solution with a powerhead, let them soak for 5 mins and did a bit of a scrub down then re-rinse in the solution. Within 48hrs. 95-100% of all algae was white and being torn into by my cleanup crew and tangs.

I highly suggest this method!

I have some big rocks so I used a spray bottle and sprayed the rock down. but other than that I did the same as you. the turf did receed a little but came back.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
ok,,, maybe I can get some help here,,I tried to soak a frag in 50/50 solution I made up of 10ml of 3% H202/Tank water.... knocked the cup into my frag tank which is about 40gal total.... what do I do?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: