jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
We skipped 2012 so I thought I would resurrect the conversation for 2013...

Unfortunately, many of my usual friends will most likely not be in the water anytime soon due to Sandy. Many have lost their boat completely and will not be back at all and others are still waiting for insurance checks in order to start working on repairs. I hope they all get what they need to get back on the water soon as we will miss them.

I was fortunate in that my boat was blocked up high enough not to float nor did any other boat smash into mine. That being said, I had already made up my mind well before Sandy to sell my boat an scratch my 3' itis. As it turns out, I ended up scratching it 4 times and I am moving up from my '07 Formula 31PC to a '08 Jeanneau Prestige 42 Fly. A big jump but it's the boat I wanted when I bought the Formula and I said I would get it if one ever came on the market as a use boat.

I am certainly excited/anxious to get this season going.

Jeff

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So sad, so true. All is still so far from normal by the shorlines...

The loss of boats and docks here on the South Shore has been mind-bending. It surely won't be the same as it has been in years past.

There are still so many cranes out in the waterways picking up sunken vessels and many more that are misplaced in the backyards of folks who don't own them.

My boat made it through too - I tied her to my house. lol
She came this close to floating but they blocked her up high and I got lucky :spin:

Nice move up for you!! Pics when you have them please :)

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
200 hours fishing is a ton. Especially considering that you are usually anchored over a wreck for blackfish most of the time. Did you do a lot of trolling too? Gee when I had my 30' Proline Express (closest thing I will ever have to a battle wagon) I did about 125 hrs one season. That year I did a ton of fishing including 40 mile offshore runs for shark and lots of runs to the Cholera Bank. So to get to 200 hr I would have had to almost double my fishing? I don't know how I could ever had done that.
Well done.

Jeff

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I did alot of trolling i was going 3_5 times a week fluke fishing i ran alot my boat is in gerritsen beach i ran south alot blackfishing some times i went longbranch most of the time was ab reef or
911 dump jersey . Most of the bass trolling was shrewsberry thats like 15 miles from my dock did a lot of runnin to get big fluke the jamiaca bay area were all small fish most of the season so i did alot of ocean fishing by rockpiles mud dump whistle bouy had some decent fluke but nothing double digit .i have a 22 sailfish she did some work last season . Shark fishing they killed the regs this year fish gotta be close to 350 to keep now.

Mak

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I just start fishing too.. I went to captree Laura Lee.. It was ok.. Cuz I went at nite and it was raining heavy.. :( So where do you guys fish? Is there's any inshore that I can fish?? I think Captree I can fish inshore.. Any other place?

Thanks

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Captree fishing is up and down due to how far the boats have to run to hit the good grounds.if you wanna fluke freeport or sheeps head bay or perth amboy are good choices being that boats have access to lots of good spots not far from the dock.coney island pier is good in spring for flounder.your in bk if you wanna meet at my dock one day when the weather hets warm your more than welcome to come out fishing

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
hey steve, when i lived in bklyn, i docked my boat next to the tamaqua. now my friends boat is by keansburg so we fish the hook and sometimes shoot over to breezy and troll. we also fish on my other friends boat. thats docked next to toys r us on flatbush. we do good with the stripers back by kennedy airport in early spring. maybe ill see you out their one day?

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I pulled my boat out a week before the storm, hopefully the fishing will be better with less people on the water. It's unfortunate why they won't be out there but hopefully the fish can catch back up in numbers as well. Near me a lot of people are just taking their checks and running. 200 hours of fishing isn't much,but 200 hours on the engines in one year is a lot. I troll and run out to the mud hole at least twice a month and try to make it out to the canyon twice a year, plus all the close to shore fishing and I'm hard pressed to put an actual 200 hours on my motors and I'm out fishing every weekend just about and I try for once during the week.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I pulled out my boat before Sandy and I am on the north shore. The water came up to my boat in the parking lot but I have almost no damage except a little canvas work. The south shore got murdered. Here is my friends boat in Seaford up against his house. It cleared the 10' high pilings and went across 30' of grass but he was luckier than most people there.

I just need to paint my outdrives and replace a shift cable then after wax, I am ready to go. Hopefully there will be no more Sandy's

Sandy.png

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Bass fishing by kennedy before the season opens is insane the past two years live bunker and spoons lots of 30# and a few 40s.I got lucky with black fish because the season was split between jersey and ny plus I have a fish food landing liscense for blackfish so I had a nice long season. It was unreal the damage the storm did we tied rope to a I beam from the dockrings. I moved my boat in the beginning of the storm to a friends dock who had xtra high pilings my dock came over but held by the ropes the 2 boats left there made it with minimal damage.Canyon fishing was hit or miss except for that late big eye bite,december had a run of giants but my friends boat was out due to sandy so we missed that.they should have a mr fishing trip.I know the south was bad I took my boat to freeport in jan I couldnt believe the damage.I hope we never see anything like that again.this was the weekend after sandy and blackfish was steady like this till late dec,the the bight moved to 17 wich was hit or miss but bigger fish
blackfish_zps75e84c48.jpg

Mak

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Captree fishing is up and down due to how far the boats have to run to hit the good grounds.if you wanna fluke freeport or sheeps head bay or perth amboy are good choices being that boats have access to lots of good spots not far from the dock.coney island pier is good in spring for flounder.your in bk if you wanna meet at my dock one day when the weather hets warm your more than welcome to come out fishing

Thanks Steve, I would love to join you... Also, for sheesheadbay, do you know which boat is good?

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
For bottom fishing go on the ocean eagle,the capt caught state record blackfish almost 22# this year. Go in brooklyn 6 for jigging blues nite blues that do wreck trips.

Mak

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
For bottom fishing go on the ocean eagle,the capt caught state record blackfish almost 22# this year. Go in brooklyn 6 for jigging blues nite blues that do wreck trips.

What about Sea Queen VII? How are they? They are the only boat that have half day.. I was planning to go with other friends and some kids too.. So I can't do full day as morning is too early for them.. lolz.. Any other boat that do half day? Do they comes with the Rod, and bait? or those are rental too?

Thanks
Kevin

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The sea queen is good too im not sure about the rod rental if they charge or not,capt dave leaves at 9am.. for fluke wait till may early june.. if you gonna go flounder fishing check the regs first last year i think it was 1-2 fish which is not worth paying for a partyboat.. Capt mike on crossbay does half days too i think he does specials for kids cheaper fare for kids under a certain age.

Mak

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The sea queen is good too im not sure about the rod rental if they charge or not,capt dave leaves at 9am.. for fluke wait till may early june.. if you gonna go flounder fishing check the regs first last year i think it was 1-2 fish which is not worth paying for a partyboat.. Capt mike on crossbay does half days too i think he does specials for kids cheaper fare for kids under a certain age.

Thanks for the info.. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: