grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My love affair with being out East(sorry Staten Island,Brooklyn) started long ago as a kid when my dad took me out there fishing which led to crabbing clamming and Saltwater tanks(local species). I can't thank him enough.
This year I went clamming all summer long and this weekend was no different. I was sitting in my backyard when my daughter's godfather called me and said it was low tide. That's all he had to say and I was on my way to the garage to get my clamming rake and bucket. He picked me up and off we went. We were almost there(2 minutes away ) when I realized I forgot my clamming permit and good thing we went back for it because when we arrived the police were there checking everyone's catch and legal permits. I'm actually glad they show up.:splitspin While clamming a second patrol car showed up. They busted a few people. They confiscated and wrote summonses.
In any event I thought I'd post pics of just my catch. 66 clams in all.

All the clams sorted out
2mx0kmq.jpg

These were sorted for Clams on the half shell
21m5lya.jpg

These were sorted for baked clams
149qs0h.jpg

These were sorted for clam chowder
2dv0pit.jpg

The is the only pic I took afterwards which is of the stuffed clams.Some of the stuffing looks abit well done but they were delicious. Blame the chef(not me or my wife). The clams on the half shell didn't last long enough to take a pic.:lol2:
whiqmq.jpg

Hope we have an Indian summer. I'm not ready to give up on the summer yet.

Last edited:

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Harry my keyboard are all wet by looking at the stuffed clams...lol great shot!

BTW where are the other shots with the new toy?

Thanks Steve. The new toy is awesome. I made a great choice. I will be posting them soon.I will let you know. I just got back and I am swamped with work.
North Fork clams taste the best!
That they are. :D
Cool is there a place to go that u don't need a boat how much for the permit??

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Permit fee is 5$ for residents and 50$ for non resident.
Check out these places:
Corey creek, Cedar Beach creek, Haywaters cove, Broadwaters cove, West Creek, Hallocks Bay,Down's Creek,little creek, Pipes neck creek and Dam pond

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you go, keep in mind that Broadwater's and Haywaters Coves are part of a large creek system that has a lot of closed areas. Mud Creek and East Creek are both closed. Its too bad...my summer place is on East Creek, and I used to get an entire months supply of clams in just 20 minutes, right off my dock. Its been closed now for 15 years. Despite the closure, I still see people clamming regularly at low tide. If I tell them its closed, they just shrug their shoulders- they know, and just don't care. What bothers me the most is that they usually seem to have kids with them. I am tempted to call the DEC, but maybe that is going overboard...besides, they wouldn't get there on time. At least the crabs are there in huge numbers! Here's a link to Southold Town Hall where permits can be ordered.
http://southoldtown.northfork.net/town_clerk.htm

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: