susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks "happy in water "....No new pics (the ones posted are very recent) but some new additions since the photos: a bangaii cardinal and some very cool little clams from Greenwich Aquaria - tiny but with amazing patterns.Next round of photos I'll try to capture them. Happy Thanksgiving to all MR members and visitors!

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
susan2626 said:
- .... pipefish .... He (she?) eats everything: tiny pellets, cyclops, mysis and of course loves that pods he (she :) finds after dark

jhl_0418.jpg

Hi Susan ;-)

I sold more than 50% of my fish as they were either bully or to big for the 180g or so tank that I have, some of the fish were already 3 or 4 years old, and now peace as returned to the system so I bought a Dunkerocampus pessuliferus like yours and will drive some 320 x 2 (=198 miles x 2) Km to Cascais (Lisbon) to collect it along with this pinck fungia at NATURLINE, a shop of a friend of mine, on December the 6 (and profit to visit him and have a leisure trip). She (he?) is presently living in the refugium of the shop exhibit tank where it gets plenty of amphipods and artemia, mysys, etc...and upon arrival will be placed in my refugium for a while where it will get the same food and in time I will move it to the main tank. Now, although incurring in the risk of bringing Godzilla home in its larval stage:eek::Yikes::splitspin, I collect live plankton with a 60 micron plankton net that I ordered from Aquatic Eco Systems, so this will be an additional form of food...still upon reading your lines, you mention that yours eats tiny pellets...so besides the usual fresh/frozen food you feed yours, you also feed tiny pellets...

how tiny are these pellets and what is their brand name?

Do you feed her (him) twice a day? Can you please describe or make a small video of your pipe fish eating?

How long now is it living in your tank?

Your tank is an inspiration :)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

susan2626

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Pedro. I feed my tank 2 times per day. The morning is a mix of flakes, freeze-dried cyclopeeze and 2 types of tiny pelllets: New Life Spectrum small fish formula and Marine Gro Small Granules. Since this mix goes into the tank all at the same time, its impossible to tell exactly which bits the pipefish is going after but it does eat. At night, when I feed the frozen mix of mysis,brine and frozen cyclops, it also eats. I can't get a video but you will know when its eating as its body sort of 'jerks' backward a bit each time it takes a bite. It has doubled in size since I got it about 9 months ago. Good luck with yours!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: