Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have been trying since early spring to get my photon fry though meta, with no luck.

I'm looking for someone to help me out, maybe take a nest or two and try to raise them. Im on the east end of Long island. PM me if you are an experienced breeder.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
How big a nest are you getting ? Approximately how many hatch ? Is it a problem with the rearing, or a problem with the larvae being week.

I have one spawning pair of the original black photons that recently started spawning. The nests are not not big, I managed to get 10 through meta a few weeks ago. I just wish the nests would be bigger and more fertile.

sanjay.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
the nests are small about 100 after collection maybe 30-50 the fry seem strong and healthy for the first few days. It seems like everything is going good.then I start to lose a few here and there. as for the majority they all die in meta or right before it

I think its me :( . I really want to see what these turn out like. i have raised clarks, occys and maroons before. so im not entirely new to this, but im stumped on these guys.

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I am also seeing small nests, and only about 40-50 hatching. The hatching is taking place over 2 days making it difficult to get them all.

I did not even have rotifers and I basically threw in a lot of other stuff like dry food, brine shrimp, etc and managed to get 12 through meta without the rotifers. So I was very surprised at that. I currently have about 10 that are almost 3 weeks old.

sanjay.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
For what it is worth, Mine also hatch over 2 nights (Oc female and Perc Male)....I keep my tank at 80.5, so perhaps maybe higher temps will help, But I'm not raising my reef any higher than 80.5 as I fear for the other inhabitants. We seem to get between 50-100 every time also, so perhaps it is b/c of the cross breeding that many of the fish do not make it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: