Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I was bored so I decided to take a look at my grass shrimp's pelagic fry under the microscope. These are a few days old.

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Attachments

• attach.jpg
    attach.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The mystery cloud or the pods we tried viewing at Josh's? The pods we had at Josh's were cleaner shrimp larvae. I didn't realize my lone cleaner shrimp was hermaphroditic. The recent mystery cloud is some type of pelagic copepod. My tank is loaded with them. So I guess the short answer is no :)

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes, cleaners are hermaphrodites and as far as I know, if you have more than one they will take turns holding each others clutches. I've never seen anything to support that myself, but that's the rumor.

they can also hold sperm from a single mating for several clutches!

so if u buy a single Cleaner it is likely that it will have up to 5 clutches in 2-3 week intervals without another Adult shrimp present.

T

teacup

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Domboski, what type of microscope do you have and how did you take that picture? Did you have a camera accessory to the microscope?

T

teacup

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
maybe a dumb question: if the cleaners are hermaphrodites then do they need to have another present to have clutches?

Yes, you'll need at least two cleaners. They cannot self-reproduce even though they own both female and male reproductive parts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: