wnlandfo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So your saying the sigma 150 f2.8 is the way to go, huh. Its getting the bet reviews. I'll look into the 60mm too.

olivier said:
DHaut,
Sigma 150 f2.8 is a kicka$$ lens. very very nice sharp lens. I used to have it and trade in for tamron 180 f4. totally regret. very fast focus while tamron is hunting like crazy on my nikon F5, nikon F4, nikon F6 and nikon D300. I trade in for tamron 180 b'cause i do a lot with flower macro and need long lens to throw background cluster out. Then when I switch to digital, the Tamron 180 f4 x 1.5 crap factor become too long of a lens on DSLR. :( . I should kept the sigma 150 f2.8 HSM. I highly recommend this lens over nikon 105 AFS VR or Canon 100 macro lens due to price vs performance. sigma is comming out with a 60mm macro lens soon. check with dpreview to see when the lens is on market.

I need to do money vs performance in trade study when buying camera lens because i have too many hobbies that my spouse upsad about. I feel bad that i spend too much money on motocycle, SW fish tank, cameras + lenses . Totally wish money from the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

wnlandfo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the list! Will do!

olivier said:
For coral which is very much static subject, go with anything in the range of 60mm to 105mm. make sure you get some lens that you can open widely for low light condition. Check with sigma on their lens and tamron.

here is list of macro lens that has been known for their performance (sharpness and great color reproduction)

1) Tamron 90mm macro lens
2) Tamron 180mm macro lens
3) Sigma 150mm macro lens (make sure you buy the latest version HSM II)
4) Sigma 105mm macro
5) Sigma 60mm macro
6) Tokina 100 macro
7) Nikon 105 micro AF F2.8
8) Nikon 105micro AFS VR F2.8
9) Nikon 70-180mm AF Micro
10) Nikon 200mm AF Micro
11) nikon 55mm AIS Micro lens (nice lens)
12) Nikon 60mm AF Micro lens
13) Canon 100 macro lens (i only know this lens from canon since I am a nikon shooter)

if you are nikon shoooter, you can not go wrong with any of those nikon made lens however, they are expensive in compare to third party lens. Sigma and Tamron lens come very close to nikon in term of performance such as sharpness, color rendertion, focusing, light fall off, bokeh, color fringe etc.
Price wise, third party cheaper. like 1/2 the cost :) go to adorama or bhphoto in NYC and rent these lens before buy to try it out .

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Mo-IDOL: Thank you! A lot of great information for me to digest and use to figure out when buying my next macro. So all I need to determine is the WD. With that said, your advice is to get the longest WD at a price that I can afford. You mentioned that you carry the 60mm around with you. Is this a macro lens you use most often in your macro photography? So an affordable lens that'll do an amazing job would be the 150 Sigma? Are there any advantages to any of these lenses where I can also use them with portrait shots?

sorry I should have mention those info r copy and paste from canon forum.http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
I dont have any experience with other macro lenses, I went with the poll got the 100mm USM f/2.8. yes I use it for most of my coral shots it's a great portrait lens also, but for ambient lights its tough to get sharp pics with out a tripod and like others mention it's little tough to do top down shots unless u have an open top tank.

most of the pics r taking with 100mm in this set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moidol/sets/72157623299603059/show/

Last edited:

olivier

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
17-40mm can use at any purpose lens however, if you want to shoot portrait and sport, I recommend any lens from 75mm to 150mm anything shorter then 50mm make the nose look awkward in portrait. Sport, if you can be up close in person then 17-40 is fine but if you shoot from side line i.e basketball, is a no no lens. too wide for such work. sport photography need longer lens such as 200mm or longer

for closeup, macro, micro, fish stuff, anything from 60mm to 105mm would do the job make sure you get a macro lens otherwise your will be limited in working distance, not a real life size.

sigma 150mm macro lens F2.8 is an excellent lens for portrait, macro, closeup and only so so for sport.

Olivier

What are other great uses with the 17-40mm f4 L. Portraits? Sport photography?

H

HelenOster

Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

.....Price wise, third party cheaper. like 1/2 the cost :) go to adorama or bhphoto in NYC and rent these lens before buy to try it out .

Many thanks for the Adorama recommendation; please hold on to my direct contact details in case you are ever in need of after-sales support or advice from Adorama Camera.

henryp

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price wise, third party cheaper. like 1/2 the cost :) go to adorama or bhphoto in NYC and rent these lens before buy to try it out .

Thanks for mentioning us but I should advise you B&H does not offer a rental option. I've heard very good things about Lens Rentals. BTW it will be easier to suggest lens options if we know whether you're using a full frame dslr or not.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: