GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
From my current experience, dont skimp on getting a pump with lots of head pressure (the rating that gives the max feet) the more feet the better for a return pump hence the higher price. Whats going to happen if you get a pump with high gph and low max head pressure, the pump is going to break on you, ie impeller falling aprt. Its literally trying to pump water against pressure its not designed to take.

Im spending all this money and time correct the problem now. If only I had known earlier!!!!

Hope this helps someone. ps, here is a somewhat useful link. there are more specific ones

http://www.thinkreef.com/reef-aquarium-pump/

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Before i got my now broken pump, i was seduced by the higher GPH and lower price, instead of actually thinking it through...DOH!!!!!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
joseney21 said:
if you increase the diameter of the return pipe shouldn't flow rate go down?? according to the head loss calculator it goes up...just curious.

Less friction + more space to flow, so it goes up unless your pump is maxed out.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Gq,

I am living proof that this works - I recently changed my pressure rated 1875gph Panworld PS-200 (390 watts and pressure rated) to a GenX PCX-55 rated at 1100gph (170 watts and pressure rated) and aside from total volume, have not seen any difference - since they are both pressure rated (I chose that on purpose cause I have penductors), I didn't notice much difference in performance.

What I did notice was a slight decrease in flow and a significant decrease in electric bill.

Conversly, make sure your plumbing can handle a pressure rated pump - don't go swapping out pumps without evaluating your connections (barb fittings are the most vulnerable).

House

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: