FMF0331

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
Any member here ever use red slime remover ? Having a small issue with cyno, tried massive water change, scubbing, reduced feeding / lights..etc.

Nothing seems to be working. Any advice on this product or what to do to rid of this cyno.

Thanks in advance

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ive used it and havent had it come back in 8 months now, as well as a few others i know same thing, and i tried all the normal methods, my tds was zero, phos .03 and so forth, bulbs werent old either and def isnt lack of flow, so i said screw it and treated with the red slime remover and poof 3 days later all gone

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I started dosing Special Blend and 5 days later RS was gone. After that I started running Phosban in my reactor and it never came back. I'm not so convinced it was phosphates though as I was using RO/DI for everything and my Phos. tested at 0 ??

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
They say that red slime (AKA cyanobacteria) are triggered & limited by excessive organics, not by phophates.

Heavier skimming, temporarily cutting back on feeding and/or using a good quality filter carbon are some ways to fight off red slime.

Increasing flow at the problem areas might also help.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Special blend was my secret man no more tips for you try it works very well for me
I started dosing Special Blend and 5 days later RS was gone. After that I started running Phosban in my reactor and it never came back. I'm not so convinced it was phosphates though as I was using RO/DI for everything and my Phos. tested at 0 ??

Sent from my DROIDX using Reefs

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
bag trick works for EVERYONE i personally know that have tried it. as long as no clams or non hardy corals are in tank, completely cover the tank with garbage bags. top, sides, all of it so NO sun light hits it. then, do not turn the light on, or feed them for 3 days straight. leave it pitch black for 3 days. after 3 days, remove the bags, and let the tank sit a little. then slowly slowly slowly introduce light back into the system so no corals are stressed with too much light in one shot. after that, do a few doses with special blend. works wonders for everyone. i personally am dealing with cyno, but cannot bag it because i have a few clams and other non hardy corals that NEED light, so i just wrapped it for 1 1/2 days, and it killed 75%. the rest i sucked out and its about 90% gone now...

lee van cleef

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of small patches of RS a while ago and bought a Rainfordi Goby. He ate the Red Slime all day long until it was all gone had I haven't had any since. I never heard of people using Rainfordis before, but mine loved eating it so I'm just throwing it out there. Very cool fish.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
IMAG0199-1.jpg

Just added the red slime remover, boy o boy .. It pissed off my skimmer, overflowed like crazy .

ummmmmmmmmm......

did you read instrustions? the red slime remover will prove nothing if you dont remove carbon and turn skimmer completely off. and you HAVE to do a water change 24-48 hours after the dose.

also, aqua vision aquatics red slime remover is the only red slime remover that once worked for me. but i dont use it anymore, seeing it just kills the cyno, not control. but, i love AVA cyno solution

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
All cyno products are the same. Either "red slime remover" or "chemi clean" or any others, any good lfs will tell you first dose you should under dose, then turn off reactors and skimmer, and mandatory water change after 48 hours...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: