chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Does a skimmer skim less if there's nothing in the tank?

40 gal tank that's just 4 weeks old. Still nothing in it but rock and sand. No fish or crew yet, altho crew should be coming within the week.

My Precision Marine skimmer doesnt seem to be generating much skimmate. Didnt know whether that was result of improper installation or lack of stuff in water. Maybe i dont have enuf toxins in the sand.

thanks

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
kimoyo said:
Is it live rock?

I certainly hope so. I asked that very same question of the board (and posted some pics) about a month ago.

The rock has been in the tank for 4 weeks now....last 2 with the skimmer and lites. In last week or so started noticing that rock was sporting what i assume is hair algae.

Took couple snails and a blue hermit from my nano and dropped 'em into the 40 g the other nite. I know its too big a job for them, but i felt like i had to do something.

Getting a little antsy waiting to start stocking the tank. But i've waited this long so why rush now.

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
pics are below. dont get me wrong.....she makes some skim, i just have no way of knowing how much to expect.

the couple of times it seemed like i had her running rite, i made a rookie mistake to screw it up. like adding top off water to the tank while the skimmer was running, which raised the water level in the skimmer neck and caused an overflow. and then yesterday i dropped the venturi hose in the tank which caused another overflow flood.

Last edited:

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
"wet" means you run the water level a little higher in the neck...so actual water runs over the edge than just bubbles...rite? and as a result the mate is diluted instead of dark green?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: