herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You are just experiencing a natural cycle. An algae bloom is part of it. Keep the skimmer running at max and do frequent waterchanges.

Test your water parameters for the following:
Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.

First your amonia will be high
Then your nitrites will spike
Finally when your nitrates spike your cycle is complete meaning you remove the nitrates through water changes. Once that level is down you can start stocking your tank SLOWLY! Remember your bacteria have to keep up with the ammonia levels (fish piss & poop) By slowly adding livestock it will enable your bacterial colony to grow and keep up with the cycle!

Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Hi Herman:

Actually I don't have an algae bloom because my lights are not on. The live rock I got recently had a lot of purple coralline algae on it but now it turned all green. How long will it take before it comes back?

Thanks for the good advice.

Last edited:

griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jiggy said:
nah theres such a thing as green coraline.. i have a ton of different colors.. blue, pink, light and dark purple, and green

i am curing rock, 1 batch under lights and 1 batch without lights. the batch under lights has alot of diatoms and green algae covering the purple coralline (not much coralline on the rocks to begin with though), while the batch in the dark like Zoos has gone from purple to pale lavender to pale green to white. yeah theres such thing as green coralline but purple coralline losing colors to appear light green and then white yeah its dead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: