eddie1272

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I lost my favorite coral last week (frogspawn). I came home from a cruise on sunday to find my living room at well over a hundred degrees and my tank at 90 degrees!!! I thought i was prepared for the summer heat with a 1/10 chiller on my 65 gallon reef. The chiller just couldnt keep up i guess.I had the frogspawn for two years and it had grown from 2 heads to six. Looks like i lost a small bowerbanki frag as well. Thanks for listening; i had to vent!!

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I lost my favorite coral last week (frogspawn). I came home from a cruise on sunday to find my living room at well over a hundred degrees and my tank at 90 degrees!!! I thought i was prepared for the summer heat with a 1/10 chiller on my 65 gallon reef. The chiller just couldnt keep up i guess.I had the frogspawn for two years and it had grown from 2 heads to six. Looks like i lost a small bowerbanki frag as well. Thanks for listening; i had to vent!!

Sorry to hear :-(
But I think I'm on that same boat. My tank was 88 degree for almost a day and now my frogspawn is not opening all the way :-/
I'm trying to see if there's anything I can do .........

Fix Your Fin Or Get Your Fin Fixed!

eddie1272

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
frogspawn

Sorry to hear. Seems they are pretty resilient to anything but heat. Im going to get a replacement in a few weeks ,,, hopefully. I wonder if anybody elses chiller couldnt keep there tanks cool during the heat wave??

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I too leave my AC on 76, no chiller but seems to do the trick. Also, have a small fan on a timer. My froggy is doing great. My temp stays at 77-78, this past weekend due to the heat i shut my lights fri, sat and most of sunday. However my temp did rise to 79-80... Everyones fine here... lol

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry you lost your frogspawns guys! Make sure there isn't the slightest bit of flesh on those skeletons before you toss them. My branching hammer had died, when I pulled the skeleton out I thought I saw a "FLECK" of flesh on a small piece so I broke that tiny piece of stuck it back in the tank. Today I have a grapefruit size hammer from that "FLECK".;-)

Maybe the thermostat busted on that chiller because of the ambient temp in the house and the chiller needs chilling if that makes sense.

Exactly why I never purchased one.;) The hottest my tank ever reached in previous years was 85, then the MH would shut off.
This year I am keeping it between 81 & 83. The minute the temp climbs to 83 the A/C goes on. I try to keep the A/C set on 78.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The chiller was probably a contributing factor to the heat. Chillers work by radiating heat and if it's in the same room as the tank than that heat gets vented back into the room. During that heatwave as the temp rises in the room and the chiller kicks on to chill the tank it was just adding fuel to the fire. The room got even hotter and the chiller stayed on trying to cool the tank radiating even more heat into the tank. This is why chillers really need to be given careful consideration before purchase. If they aren't setup properly they can do more harm than good because the hotter the air around them gets the more their cooling abilities are diminished.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: