devilsgreed11

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ive been wondering for a while if chalices are hard to keep i have a 55 reef with a 4 bulb t5ho light , 9 watt uv, canister filter my tank is lps dominate
My parameters are
Sg-.025
Calcium 470 a little high
Kh 9.0-10.0
Nitrates 0-5ppm

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
6 bulb would be better. What is phosphate and magnesium level?

You can always just give it a shot with a frag with a few eyes, but I feel they would be considered advanced..but not the hardest by far. Other certain sps is way harder

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Phosphate is pretty important for chalice keeping. You need an exact measurement for phosphate.cmake sure it's not just a strip test, and if it's a color changing kit, make sure it's a trust worthy brand

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
With mine personally, back when I had 4 bulb, I never felt it was enough to get the colors to pop. They thrived, but when I first bought it, the color was so much nicer. Seeing they usually are put lower in aquariums, I came to realize 4 bulb was really only enough to keep them thriving, but not enough to enjoy the colors they can hide. And then I noticed when I got my 6 bulb, the growth rate increased, and the eyes glowed much brighter and finally had the same colors as I first got them for the lfs. The 4 bulb made it look brownish. The 6 bulb brought out hidden colors, even when placed close to sand which most of mine are. Granted, it's not mandatory, but to get the colors to pop, 6 will help out alot especially on chalices where the eyes can be so little

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would think it all depends on the chalice.:) Some are easier to keep then others. I have three in my tank which is not being cared for as well as it should be, and they are doing well. The ones I have are not the designer types.;-)

I think you should post what chalice it is that you plan to get, and then some of the more advanced reefers can give you more imput.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: