Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey guys,
Is anyone here using only T5's? I'm ordering my new lights (tek light t5) and I wanted to see if I could get some feedback and maybe some pics of T5 lighting. I would love to get MH lights but I don't have that much room for a chiller right now plus my electric bill is a little high already.

Thanks

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here is my Tek T5. I purchased it at www.seedsetc.com.

Initially they seem to brown out the SPS, but after a few weeks, maybe a month the colors seems to return. I am going to let it run for another three weeks and if I don't like the color I will go back to MH.

Teklogo.jpg

Tekpower.jpg

Tekright.jpg

Tekfront.jpg

Rich

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
LOL it will never gain the color it was ever again, tell you that. but t-5s has growth, ok color and alright heat. MH great color, growth and heat.
you can run t-5s only just keep your water awsome.

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rich, thank you for the pics. Now I can see what they will look like on my tank. I'm not hanging them I'm also getting the brackets. How did you split the lighting?

Thanks for the link........ you saved me $60.+

tank looks nice by the way..... what's suction cupped on the left?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I'm running T5's also

I cleaned my fixture and took some pix for you guys.

Pic #1 is just the T5 actinics lit (T5 actinics are less than acceptable IMO)
Pic #2 is all lights on
Pic #3 is all bulbs off

Russ

Attachments

• TEK on floor actinics lit.jpg
    TEK on floor actinics lit.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 216
  • TEK on floor all bulbs lit.jpg
    TEK on floor all bulbs lit.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 216
  • TEK light on floor, bulbs off.jpg
    TEK light on floor, bulbs off.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 214

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The bulbs I'm running

The one bulb you can't read is a second actinic +

Attachments

• front bulbs Aquablue+ and  Pure Actinic.jpg
    front bulbs Aquablue+ and Pure Actinic.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Middle bulbs Aquablue+ and Actinic +.jpg
    Middle bulbs Aquablue+ and Actinic +.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 214
  • back bulbs Pure Actinic and Actinic +.jpg
    back bulbs Pure Actinic and Actinic +.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 215

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
Wow those reflectors got dirty. Do you have the lens shield? That can't be good for the par. I wonder if SLS has replacement reflector units.

That was actually before I cleaned them. And, it's only like that on the ends. I am kind of glad about that too. With T5's, since they are a linear source of light, they basically maintain their PAR along the entire bulb (not 100% accurate, the middle is a bit more PAR than the ends, but not much), so I don't have a lot of lower light areas up high. With the reflector this way on the ends, it allows me to place less light demanding coral higher up. I like that.

Russ

edit: BTW, I don't use a lens shield. I think that would reduce PAR even more than the slight 'creep' on the ends. I've also raised the fixture 4" - 5" within the last week, for the first time in two years. So I'm guessing 'creep' will be less in the future.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Manny said:
Russ,
exactly what I was looking for...... thank you

have you ever tried the "midday" bulbs?

If you mean midday being 6500k, then yes I have. If you're looking for some, I have a few brand new ones that have never been fired. I can bring them to the swap if you'd like.

Russ

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
kimoyo said:
Wow those reflectors got dirty. Do you have the lens shield? That can't be good for the par. I wonder if SLS has replacement reflector units.

Paul,
I had used the acrylic lens that is optional with the Tek fixtures and had to take it off after a week. The lens will warp with the heat and then almost form back to shape after cooling down. The warping was IMO pretty extensive as the lens would almost touch the bulbs at any given time, so off it came.
Wasted $29!

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
masterswimmer said:
If you mean midday being 6500k, then yes I have. If you're looking for some, I have a few brand new ones that have never been fired. I can bring them to the swap if you'd like.

Russ

Thanks but I'm not sure what combo I will be going with. I'm getting the Tek Light T5 8 lamp.

my catalog has them as "midday" the website has them as "sun"

http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aquarium/products/flourescent_lamps.shtml

why don't you use them anymore?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: