joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i use two blue plus and two aquablue. i think i read on one t5 thread on RC that most of the bulbs have just about the same par so when choosing bulbs just focus on getting the color you like.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
tabletopnov0tn.jpg

Heres a sample of the growth on them for me
I have room to put 2 more T5 bulbs on my tank which I will get around to eventually to help give an added boost in growth hopefully.

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rborgia: thanks for the link....... good reading

Masterswimmer: sending pm about the lights

Thanks to all other replies... absorbing all info like a sponge
I know I'll be happy with my lights :)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
Anyone with a silver tek fixture know the size of the allen wrench to remove the side to install feet and shield?

Ok, here's the issue my friend. I have the black TEK, so it probably is different than yours. So if you'd like the size of the Allen wrench for the black one, just let me know. :banghead:

Just kidding Paul, I have two sets of Allen wrenchs. One is not labeled and the other is worn down to the point where it is VERY hard to read. I measured it and it seems to coincide with the worn off measurement of 1/16th". Hope this helped.

Russ

Last edited:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It bummed out my day. I was about to go to work in an hour and I had to call nine times because they keep transferring me to different peoples voice mail. Then I finally got someone and they just didn't know. At that point I was tired and feed up and almost late I just said forget it, hung up and left.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Don't mean to hijack...but what do you guys think about this T-5 Bulb combination on the 4 bulb Tek fixture 24"?:
3x Pure Actinic
1x Midday

or

2x Pure Actinic
1x Actinic Plus
1x Midday

Hey Russ...I'm really thinking about ordering my lights from http://www.specialty-lights.com/960005.html that comes with the bulbs. $300 plus tax I guess...Shipping is free. Maybe if I give them a call they can mix and match to my bulb selection. Good deal you think?

I also noticed they had this bulb selection:
greyarrow.gif
24W 6000K Midday German-Made full spectrum bulb
greyarrow.gif
24W Actinic Plus 40% Actinic/60% Blue peaks at 450 nm
greyarrow.gif
24W Aquablue Plus 11,000K 60% Actinic/40% White
greyarrow.gif
24W Pure Actinic - Peaks at about 420 nm

There is a Actinic Plus and an Aquablue Plus. Master and Rborgia... from what you've guys said...I guess ya'll using the Midday (6k i guess....), the Aquablue Plus and the Pure Actinic. So no one has used the Actinic Plus yet?

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
froggie, I don't use any midday's.

My bulb combo is, all D & D bulbs:

2 - Actinic +
2 - Aqua Blue +
2 - Pure Actinic

Everyone is going to have their own opinions about what looks good to them. Don't worry so much about everyone else's opinion, do what you think is right. There is no right and wrong way to do it. Whatever you like, is the right way.

I'll go look at the fixture you linked and let you know MY opinion of it. Once again, IMO doesn't mean it's the right one, just mine.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
froggiebunbun said:
Hey Russ...I'm really thinking about ordering my lights from http://www.specialty-lights.com/960005.html that comes with the bulbs. $300 plus tax I guess...Shipping is free. Maybe if I give them a call they can mix and match to my bulb selection. Good deal you think?

I also noticed they had this bulb selection:
greyarrow.gif
24W 6000K Midday German-Made full spectrum bulb
greyarrow.gif
24W Actinic Plus 40% Actinic/60% Blue peaks at 450 nm
greyarrow.gif
24W Aquablue Plus 11,000K 60% Actinic/40% White
greyarrow.gif
24W Pure Actinic - Peaks at about 420 nm

There is a Actinic Plus and an Aquablue Plus. Master and Rborgia... from what you've guys said...I guess ya'll using the Midday (6k i guess....), the Aquablue Plus and the Pure Actinic. So no one has used the Actinic Plus yet?

Great fixture, great price. I don't like any of their bulb combinations though. I'd take the $80 credit and buy your own or just take all 4 as AquaBlue + or Actinic +. Use one of them and save the rest for your bulb changes. Then buy the other bulbs you want in your combination separately. The fact that they are including two of the cheap midday 6500k bulbs is nothing to write home about. The midday bulbs are very yellow, IMO, and I don't use them. They are good for growth though.

Russ

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Hey Manny
I just made the switch to t5's one of my ballast's didn't fire the bulbs on. so I have to wait a while before I see how it works out for me. I made the switch because of the heat and electric bill.
I work in Stamford and often stop at Kedds house so maybe we could meet up some time so I could see your tank.

Vic

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Sorry for hijacking there Manny...Hope ya didnt mind. Try the site I posted...free shipping :) :backtotop

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
froggiebunbun said:
Sorry for hijacking there Manny...Hope ya didnt mind. Try the site I posted...free shipping :) :backtotop
No worries dude...... the more I read about T5's the more I know

I already ordered my fixture and it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the link though :) I still havn't decided 100% on the bulbs but I know I will have 2 middays mixed in my combo. Good luck with yours froggie

Vic,
It's nice to have another reefer close by [edit: oops..I see you're in the Bronx].... You are welcome to stop by anytime you'd like to talk reefs and drink beer :beer:

send me a pm and I'll tell you how to get here.

:bump::backtotop

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: