reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
any1 have any insights on check valves ,like whats the most reliable ones and if they're even worth installing for people with backflows that the sump can handle. i've heard some fails n cause leaks that if u dont have to have it,dont. that it may cost more problem than its worth.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I think if you can avoid them, do it. All check valves will eventually fail, (and probably at the worst possible time). I have never used them, I always make sure the sump can handle the backflow when the main pump goes out and i just install ball valves between sump and main tank in case i ever need to remove the sump or isolate the main tank for something.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
WYE check valves from Championlighting.com are excellent. Be sure to plumb it so it can be removed from your line for cleanings. Bi-monthly vinegar soaks and it will not fail on you.

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
swing check valves are the best. just make sure you either buy them true union or you make them true union. take them off and clean them once a year. you should avboid most if not all potential problems. I've used the same checks valve for the past 5 years.

good luck,
Frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: