Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well I have two thermometers both the tube sytem that has a suction cup to stick to the inside of the tank.

This one:

hagen_marina_floating_thermometer.jpg

On is in my the display tank, one in the sump. I usually see a 2 degree difference. I figured this was normal. Well this past week my display temp was showing 84 (too high!). So I setup my chiller today 1/10th hp (its a 58 gal tank). When I started up the chiller, the temp reading was showing 80 degrees (it feeds from the sum). This is a 4 degree difference from the display thermometer, two degrees cooler then the sump thermometer.

Now... for the questions.

1.) are those thermometers accurate and dependable?
2.) over what time period shoudl I allow for the temp change?

Thanks

Rich

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I have two thermometers in each of my tanks. There is NEVER a time when they are the same.

In my 75g I have three actually, my cheap POS Won Titanium heater, another cheap Coralife digital and a suction cup one like you pictured above.

The Coralife digital is in my sump, away from pumps and reads about 1.5 degrees higher than my Won Bros digital readout heater/thermometer. My suction cup is normally right between them but in my fuge.

I'll let you guess which one I believe. (hint: requires no batteries)

Russ

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Rich, I find none of the hobby temperature indicating instruments are accurate. I borrowed a IR thermometer(NST lab calibrated for aircraft use) from a friend and calibrated my Aquacontollers to it, some of them were 2 deg off.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
regal said:
I have the big digital thermometer and it reads 3 degrees lower than the actual temperature.

How do you know what the 'actual' temperature is? I agree with Cali, none of these cheap hobbyist thermometers are accurate. Which one of yours are you considering right on the money?

master

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cali... or Anyone else reading this... do you have a calibrated (Accurate) thermometer that maybe I could borrow to see which is actually correct?

I am really hoping the chiller's Thermometer is accurate since this is whats asjusting my temps.

Rich

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Rich, I will ask when is the next opportunity I can borrow the unit, he needs to make sure the airline won't be needing it for a day or two first.

You can also check your water temp with a digital human thermometer, those thing should have an accuracy of +/- 0.5'C. Just make sure you wipe the probe down with rubbing alcohol before and after each use.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
cali_reef said:
You can also check your water temp with a digital human thermometer, those thing should have an accuracy of +/- 0.5'C. Just make sure you wipe the probe down with rubbing alcohol before and after each use.

How do you get your Tangs to hold still? Do you use Vaseline on the tip? :thrash:

Damn hijackers.......now :backtotop please :biggrin:

master

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: