Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hello Reefer World. It's been a while! I am currently abroad and starting to make plans for setting up my tank when I return. I currently have an 18" Mr. Aqua cube with a HOT Magnum filter and 2 Par 38 lights. I would ideally like to keep this tank, the only problem is it is not reef ready. I want to setup my first sump and could really use some suggestions.

I know that I can setup this tank with an overflow box, but IMO it kind of defeats part of the purpose of having a sump in the first place! I would like this tank to be as low profile as possible, so a bulky overflow box isn't really in my plan.

I have been talking to Russ over at Saltwater Critters and he has suggested the Deep Blue 30 gallon cube (24"x24"x12") I really like this tank, although I do not think that it will fit on my stand which was made for the Red Sea Max 130D. He also suggested an Eshopps sump.

I could really use some help figuring out how I setup my sump and all the accesories, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Come to my house tomorrow at noon or forget it, I won't help you any more.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
:lol:

j/k as you well know. Hope things are going well in your hut. :)

As Kathy said, which tank are you ultimately going with?

Be well, be safe, enjoy your mission, and hope you had a Happy New Year. L'shana Tova

Russ

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The question would be easier to answer if we knew which tank you are setting up :)

That's up in the air at the moment. I can keep my current 18" Mr. Aqua cube or upgrade to something that is reef-ready. I am leaning towards the latter.

I'm not sure the dimensions of my current stand, which makes it a bit tough to decide currently. It is the stand for the Red Sea Max 130D. I don't think it's 24" x24" which is what I would need for the 24"x24"x12" Deep Blue tank that I really want.

I also need as much help as possible making the transfer to sump filtration. Maybe someone has a good article that could break it down for me.

L'shana Tova Russ, you're the man.

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
He is abroad. The tank is not with him.

I have a Deep Blue 24x24x12 sitting in my dining room empty. I need to convince the Fiance that I need a third tank to be setup. If it is not setup by the time you get back, shoot me a pm.

The Duncan you gave me is doing awesome. It's starting to look pretty good.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I think I may have figured out what my upgrade is going to be. I am going to get the 24x24x12 Deep Blue tank. I stated above that I have the RedSea Max 130D stand. It is 24" wide but only about 20" deep, so I will have to extend it back about 4 inches. Richie (Rkaragozler) said that he would help me do that. He is well versed in building aquarium stands so I have plenty of confidence in his ability to help me with that. The sump that was suggested was Ehopps Reef Sump - AEO14000. It was also suggested to me to get the Hydor Skimmer Slim. From reviews I've read online, it seems like a pretty decent choice. Also, I want to get the AI Sol Nano, but I'm not sure it will have the spread to cover a 24x24 span. Does anyone know if it would? Thanks ahead of time.

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
got same tank from same guy lmfao Russ is cool people. sol should have the cover space ive done my research on it as i have the same tank and im in the process of getting it up and running. as far as sump needs ur gonna need a return pump for sure. theres a skimmer that russ is selling which i read up on that has good reviews too is the reef octopus nw-110 i think cant remember off the top of my head. im going to use a 20g high as my sump

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: