chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Total newbie question.

Got my first couple shroom plyps the other day (thanks masterswimmer). Set'em up in tank and, as with any new parent, we've been watching them intently and constantly. Hence my earlier question about whether crabs would eat them...(i now believe crabs were eating some decayed flesh around them but not the healthy parts).

Now it looks like they're moving a little and i didnt know whether that was something they did.

For example, there are a couple frags on a single piece of rock shaped like an "L". There's no way to lie the rock down so that both polyps will be facing upward towards the light. So now they're perpendicular, facing the front and back of the tank. Will they slide themselves around so they face upwards?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yes, mushrooms will move. They will either extend and grow a longer stalk so that they can reach the light, or they will detach and move all together. If they are not getting the light that they want, are overcrowded, or too much/not enough current they will move.

DRENALYN9

HALF-A-FLIP
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
some times they will leave there spot but just be patient there is a very great chance it will attatch to a rock and you will find it some time in the future. its happend to me plenty of times.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Steve, like everyone said, it's very common. Hopefully you're enjoying them. I've talked to a few members that got the same ones and they've colored up nicely in everyones tanks so far.

Jim (house) said it best. They reproduce by leaving behind something as small as a spore (too small to see) that will grow into another shroom. I've got some in places in my tank that you would just scratch your head and say, 'huh'? I've seen them growing in overflows, behind rockwork, on powerheads, in sumps, fuges, anywhere they can plant their foot.

Russ

chasesng

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Russ

Totally enjoying them. And its not that they've fled the scene.

I just thought you guys glued them to the rock. which would mean no movement. And after several looks we started to notice that one of the schrooms was getting closer to the main rock structure. So with no visible legs AND being glued to the rock, i had figured i was their only form of locomotion.

I'm also noticing that the shroom lies flat against the rock during daylite or when tanklites are on. But under the moonlites, its grows a "neck" that sorta droops forward and down. When lites come back on, gets sucked rite up again. Funky.

Saw your ebay auction. Looks good. I used to buy slotcars on ebay. Local bidders will ask, or you can offer, pickup. If you grow it, they will come.

Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: