junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
I just bought a chiller and I wanted to know how most of you with chillers plumb your chillers. The unit I got has an "inlet" and "outlet" for the water to go in and out of the unit. Can I plumb it in such a way that the water from my sump goes to a "powerful" pump and pumps the water into the inlet of the chiller and as it goes to the outlet, I can just hook it to some pvc's and this will be my return going to the main tank. If this is possible, will an IWAKI WMD-30RLXT be sufficient enough? I wanted to minimize the use of more than one pump that is why I was hoping this will work. Any input will be appreciated.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey,

yes you can run your return line through the chiller.
that's a common way to do it.
I'm not sure about the pump, what's it rated at?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Different Chillers require different things. Tell us what Chiller you got and what your return pump is and well tell you how to plumb it. :D

Each Chiller needs a certain gph flowing through it. Too little flow will cause it to freeze. To much will render it ineffective.

junglebase

Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
herman said:
Different Chillers require different things. Tell us what Chiller you got and what your return pump is and well tell you how to plumb it. :D

Each Chiller needs a certain gph flowing through it. Too little flow will cause it to freeze. To much will render it ineffective.

Thanks guys,

I have this Universal Marine Industries Chiller 1/4 hp and the pump that I got with it is the Iwaki I mentioned.

here is the link to UMI's website...

http://www.umii.net/TiChillers.html

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
reefman said:
put a t on return pump with a true union ball valve to the inlet chiller. have the outlet chiller back to sump.

not a good idea putting a chiller on a loop back to the sump is not a good idea all the water that goes thought the chiller should return back into the aquarium. A 30rlt should be fine (if it's a freon chiller) I don't think you need to put a "t" on it but' then again I've never used a UMI chiller before. If you do "t" off the return it should all go back to your main display.

junglebase

Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
Sean said:
not a good idea putting a chiller on a loop back to the sump is not a good idea all the water that goes thought the chiller should return back into the aquarium. A 30rlt should be fine (if it's a freon chiller) I don't think you need to put a "t" on it but' then again I've never used a UMI chiller before. If you do "t" off the return it should all go back to your main display.

Why is it not a good idea to loop it back to the sump? I was thinking of plumbing it where in the intake comes from the first section of the sump (skimmer section) and the outlet goes to either the second section (live rock/refugium section) or the third section (return pump section).

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
your tank can wind up having a different temperature then your sump. so if your chiller is set at 78degrees it may actually be 82 or so in the main display. not so bad but then at night with the lights off your temp. could drop down to 78 then rise back when the lights go on. You don't want the temp. rising and dropping consistency is key.

I hope this explains it well enough there are other reason as well but this is a major one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: