Wilhelm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Is there any circumstance where I would not want to use activated carbon other than when using medicine? Does activated carbon interfere with any other regimen? My numbers are all within acceptable ranges for pH, salinity, ammonia, etc.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
it polishes your water and provides better penetration of your lighting.

if not rinsed correctly, the dust from shipping and settling isn't great to put into the tank depending on size of tank and amount of carbon put in.

Running it passive (in a media bag) is less effective than running it active (using a media reactor)

Some tips - Hope that helps,

House

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it polishes your water and provides better penetration of your lighting.

if not rinsed correctly, the dust from shipping and settling isn't great to put into the tank depending on size of tank and amount of carbon put in.

Running it passive (in a media bag) is less effective than running it active (using a media reactor)

Some tips - Hope that helps,

House

+1
I think that having a good skimmer along with running GAC and GFO are good components to a successful tank. There is some anecdotal evidence that running carbon can cause HLLE, but I've been using it for years without a problem.

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not open the Chemipure bags. I do think you'd be better served by using a reactor for both GAC and GFO. I know some folks who run both in a single reactor and some who use a dual reactor, but I prefer to use a single reactor for each, since they work best at different flow rates.
Are you still using a SeaClone skimmer?

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I change my carbon ones a month and use esv carbon. It lasts longer then the other ones. I run mine in a reactor and the return hose goes into my filter sock to pick up all the stuff that gets away from the sponge . New carbon i rince it twice with the water from the water change .

Wilhelm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the advice. And, yes, I use a Sea Clone Skimmer. That is one of the components I need to change as it never quite lived up to expectations. I will also be making the change from carbon in bags to a reactor. It is all part of the growing and learning experience I have had with my tank.

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost always folks that report bleaching in their corals after putting in GAC have added a large amount after not using it for awhile. The major issue there is that GAC is really good at removing colored compounds (the big reason we use it) from the water, and those colored compounds are excellent at absorbing UV light especially, and blue wavelengths to a lesser extent. The major change in water clarity, especially to UV which we cannot see, zaps the corals. It's somewhat like going to a tropical place in the middle of winter, after seeing very little sun, and then forgetting to wear sun block: you'll fry badly. If you develop a tan slowly first the UV is much more tolerable. Corals can tolerate UV and bright light, but a sudden increase in either is bad news.

cj

Downbeach

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. And, yes, I use a Sea Clone Skimmer. That is one of the components I need to change as it never quite lived up to expectations. I will also be making the change from carbon in bags to a reactor. It is all part of the growing and learning experience I have had with my tank.

Some years back, when I converted my 55 to SW, and with the advice of my LFS(at the time), I bought a SeaClone 100. I was very disappointed when I finally realized that it was far from a good choice. I then did some research on my own without the advice of the LFS, and bought an AquaC Ramora. Within a week there was a remarkable difference in my tank. I have since moved onto a larger tank, but still use that Ramora to this day, the 55 is now my QT tank and the skimmer is still working great.
If you're still using canister filters on the 120, I would put a sump on my wish list, especially if you're going to a reef type tank. Then add the reactors, etc., you'll need to keep coral's etc.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I use rox from bulk reef supply. Its really hard so doesnt cause alot of dust. There tiny so can clog a reactor. But i ordered the new clear canisters that dont use sponges. Maybe less clogging. Lets see. Back to the point, i wouldnt run a tank without carbon. If only for its ability to always be there incase something happens. A coral could let out chemicals, windex could accidentaly enter the tank etc etc. Skimmer, carbon, gho.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: