suprastan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Okay so today after feeding this huge wormish thing came out of one of my rocks, as well as another smaller one. Can someone Identify this and let me know if it is a pest, and if I should be worried? I have a green brittle star that seems to stay in that area all of the time, I assume to eat them, but today he wasnt around so I guess they had to eat and seen the coat was clear.. But as you can see from the pics the star quickly came back :)

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

worm.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It is one of worms in the bristle worm family. Excellent detritus eaters. Just don't touch him, those bristles hurt like heck when they stuck in your fingers.
He is good for your tank as long as you don't have too many (which you will if you overfeed)

suprastan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Damn this is HUGE!!! I have seen other bristles before but nothing this extreme!!! WOW.. I guess a normal Bristle Worm trap wont work.. I guess its time to whip out the 2 Liter bottle!!! hah

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
that would be taken care of by larger wrasse quite possibly. if you do not happen to like it... put a shrimp in ladies stocking... place in the sand... when the bristleworms come out for food they will get trapped and just pull out and discard.

suprastan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I obviously dont like it if it is one of the bad worms. I have never seen anything like this before. I hope someone finds something conclusive on it. Like I said I believe there is more than one inside this rock.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Its fine....good and beneficial to the tank....unless they get very hungry and are able to catch a sleeping fish (almost never an issue as we all over feed)
I think arrow crabs may eat bristle worms...check that yourself though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: