jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon over flow. Established for 2 years about 50 lbs live rock. 90% of fish DOA in less then a week. Some showed labored breathing cloudy eyes loss of color. Tomato clown looks ich-ish and has been removed to hospital tank. corals look ok. Treated tank with "Mardel Maracyn-oxy" did 30 gallon water change. Fish still dying, down to 3 survivors. Levels all good temp 80. Indroduced a new sailfin tang 3 weeks ago. I assume that was patient zero. No lectures on QT please believe me I get it now. Any help?

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Can you tell us more about your water parameters, its easier for us to figure out whats happening if we had more exact figures. Also would be helpful is what kind of filtration you are using. From what you are saying so far, all I can think of is that there bight be some kind of infection or that the oxygen levels in your tank are too low.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pro clear aquatic sump. I use filter pads with bio-balls. I have a skimmer in the sump. PH=8.4 Nitrate=2 Temp=80 specific gravity=1.024 ammonia=0
Since problem I have turned skimmer down and getting a lot of micro bubbles for added O2

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Sorry for your losses.

Can you post a pic of the tomato clown?

What other fish are still alive and how do they look - are they eating, how is their breathing?

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Can you be more speccific with your nitrate reading by providing the unit or the test kit that you are getting the reading from. Nitrate at high levels can actually be the culprit. But I want to make sure before I jump to a conclusion.

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Nitrate will not have that negative effect that quick.
This sounds more of ich or other sickness brought by your new addition.

Make sure all your params are in check and add a UV sterilizer if you have it handy in the mean time.

Besides trying to put them into a hospital tank just feed them more with garlic to help them fight any parasite.

In my experience I had worse results trying to move my fish to a hospital tank than just leaving them in my tank.

jdino

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clown fish.jpgclown fish.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It would be most helpful if you can post a pic of the clown so we might be able to figure out what is going wrong. Likely it is a disease or a parasite. If a parasite, then that issue has to be addressed with something that will kill the parasite.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If it is velvet, it won't go away as long as their is at least 1 fish in the tank. U need to get a correct identification.

To get rid of it.
Tank stays fallow (fishless) for at least 8 weeks and qt all survivors in copper.
Hypo doesn't work if its velvet.
I'm on week 5 and only fish that survived the velvet was my tomato.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: