KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A heater should ALWAYS be run off a controller so it will shut down when it breaks..no heater can ever be trusted 100%.

I personally like the Ebo Jagers - reliable to the temperature they are set for.

The BEST thing you can do when purchasing a heater is to buy 2 of them instead of 1.
For example: If you need 200Watts to keep your tank at the right temp - purchase 2 100W heaters. If one ever breaks your tank will not get overly cold and if one ever overheats your temp won't cook as quickly and you have a chance to find the issue (but then again you will have them on a controller so the controller will shut them both down if there is an issue :))

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
A heater should ALWAYS be run off a controller so it will shut down when it breaks..no heater can ever be trusted 100%.

I personally like the Ebo Jagers - reliable to the temperature they are set for.

The BEST thing you can do when purchasing a heater is to buy 2 of them instead of 1.
For example: If you need 200Watts to keep your tank at the right temp - purchase 2 100W heaters. If one ever breaks your tank will not get overly cold and if one ever overheats your temp won't cook as quickly and you have a chance to find the issue (but then again you will have them on a controller so the controller will shut them both down if there is an issue :))

Unless of course you run in to my previous 2 malfunctions.;) One exploded, and electrocuted my anemones as well as shocking me. The other developed a tiny pin head size hole; must have leaked something cause it just about wiped out my fish population.:( Both heaters were on Ranco controllers.

Don't take any heater for granted even when running them on controllers. They don't just get stuck on off or on.;(
BTW, I know run Ebo Jagers. Both are set at 77, and if ran without controller they stay on until the water temp reads 82. Go figure....:headache:

csauer52

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh of all the issues with these heaters and the technology of light skimmers and everything else y hasnt a company built a GREAT heater?

I think it's a right of passage in reef keeping to roast at least one tank because of a heater malfunction.

In my case, my 5 yr old son pulled the probe out of the tank when we were cleaning one weekend. We left for a while and came home to a smelly, steaming tank. Literally, steam coming of the top of the water. Must have been 160*+.

My wife was soooo pissed, the house smelled for a week!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: