simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i have a small frag from the grab bag at the swap and the polyps havent opened up yet, some just barley only open about 1mm, everything else i bought , other zoos xenia, frogspawn are all doing great. How long should i wait, i dont want them to give off any toxinsif they are dying, i only have a 5gal so there is little room to dissipate toxins. not to happy with the frag from the grab bag cost more than any other frag i bought that day. Just want to catch this before it is too late.
Thanks and great swap, thanks mods

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Are they too close to anything? Are they getting enough/too much light or flow? Move em around a little see what they do but give them a day or 2 before you do just in case they just need to relax and settle in to their new home.

simike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
they are no touching anything else, and are placed mid tank so i think they are getting enough light, i dont think too much light icould be aproblem since i only have a 20 watt for 5 gal.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Zoas that are generally healthy should have responded to light by opening up by now. I would try a Zoa Dip, if they haven't opened by this afternoon. I wouldn't worry if you don't have the Lugol's Iodine/Flatworm Exit, the fresh water alone could kill some of the possible irritants on the colony.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hope they open up- i had to move some of mine from a 'high traffic' area where they were getting walked on by hermits, snails, spaghetti worms, etc. - they just stayed irritated and wouldn't open...

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Never put zoos in your tank without dipping in Lugol's Solution first.
Then you have to check them for nudi eggs.
I have bought and sold many zoos from this site, i dip the ones i buy and tell the people i sell them to, they should do the same.
I have zoos that didn't open for weeks when i added them to my tank.
But also had some never open, they just melt away.

Also light is a factor, if there not ready to open due to stress, there natural Instinct forces them to open in light when there not ready.
I keep mine on the SB until there ready to be placed on the rock work.
But i do have 250W MH + 64W actinics.
Honestly i never tried keeping anything under 20 watts of lighting.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
Hey Rob!
Good seeing you at the swap~
Too bad we couldn't talk longer.

Anyhow,
What doseage do you recommend for dipping zoos in Lugols ?

Yea after all that OT the last 7 weeks i had a lot of things to do, i had to leave early.
We have to get a bunch of people together for some Beers!

As for the Lugols i use around 5 drops in a plastic pint 3/4 full or RO/DI water (Never checked the Ph) room temp and leave them in there for around a minute. Then i hold the rock upside down in the water and move it around for a while, then check for eggs. Rinse them off and put them into the tank with lights off.

Zoos are strong, i had some that were goner's, bad fungus and did a full-strength hydrogen peroxide dip this worked at least 50% of the time. But i knew they were going to die anyway. So i dont recommend that.

Mucho has a post on dipping zoos i would follow his at first.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451720

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
how much more sensitive would u say frogspawn is than are zoos? my zoos are currently doing poorly (at least in one section of the tank) as I've posted- but frogspawn has never looked better! i was wondering if there was something i missed in my testing...

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Reefer420 said:
i was wondering if there was something i missed in my testing...

This is thread related, lets not hijack mikes thread.

IMO, they like strong light. Some say this is not that important, i think it is for color, i find blues & purples do better lower while the reds and oranges like it higher (in my tank)
They do like a strong study flow, the only thing you could have missed in your testing is Alk you should keep this a little higher for zoos.
What test kits are you using?
For starters try keeping the KH between 9-10.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: