nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Need some help. My sand bed is turning green fast. Tested the water the other day and all the perimiters are fine. I do a 5 gallon water change every 7 days. I have a 170 DT, 4 tangs, 6 line wrasse, fire goby, algy blenny, 2 shrimp bunch of hermit crabs. 200 lbs live rock and a hand full of frags and corals. I run rodi. 6ft. t5. I have the whites on like 8 hrs, and the atinics 10 hrs. I have 2 korilla powerheads. I have built in overflow box on one side and the return on the other. I cleanded the top layer about 2 days ago, and its already coming back. So i'm gonna throw some things out there that i read and heard and just let me know if it makes sence or bull crap. First thing to mention is i added a nextreef phosphate reactor and within a couple days i guess i reconized the green. u think it's just coincidence? Next is i saw my first 2 filters on my rodi are turning brown, but my tds meter is still reading 0. Maybe not enough water flow in the DT? I'm up for all kinds of opinions. thanx

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I use Distill water, tank been running 3 month post cycle, yet it's mostly on rock and a bit on the sand no where else.

OP how long has your tank been up???

8 months and. 3 weeks

But check your PO4 level they could be high from uneaten food

dying algae
fish feces
dead fish
carbon filter media
aquarium salts
pH buffers
kH buffers
water itself

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
first.. does natural sun light hit the tank at all? second what is your actual parameters? salinity, nitrates,alk, mag, po4?

your rodi is turning color bc its doing its job and filtering the water going thru, may need to change out the filters soon but if tds are 0 still then not yet..

is it actually green or is it brownish? like a diatom bloom? if all that is good, when was the last time you changed carbon? do you run carbon? expecially with the biopellets..

and last, im a firm believer in h2o2, with dosing 1ml per 10g a day will kill off single cell algea.. and can help with your bloom, but i wouldnt do that until you found the underlying cause..

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I have to buy a phosphate test, but everything else all, salinity is where they should be. I know this don't matter but even calcium is right. I don't run any carbon, the only reactor I have going is with phosphate out. Should I run a carbon reactor?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
You mentioned only having two koralias on a 170 gallon display. Which koralias do you have? Also, what are your tank dimensions?
Finally, with actual numbers, what are your parameters?

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I'm gonna add another power head see what happens. I have 2 korilla 4's I believe and 1 5. Forget the models they are, I know I remember getting the biggest one and 2 of the ones that r right behind that. Anyway as far as the perimeter numbers so, there on point or right there. Nit's 0, salinity 1.21. Ph 8.2 etc. Not sure about alk. Don't have or know how to test for it. It's frustrating cause my corals and drags r growing, and the fish look healthy. But the sand looks like ****. I'll mess wit the flow and see how it goes. P.s. oh yea I still run Bio balls!! I know u guys r gonna hate me for that, but don't worry by Tue my 75 gal sump & 30 gal fuge should be up.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I'm gonna add another power head see what happens. I have 2 korilla 4's I believe and 1 5. Forget the models they are, I know I remember getting the biggest one and 2 of the ones that r right behind that. Anyway as far as the perimeter numbers so, there on point or right there. Nit's 0, salinity 1.21. Ph 8.2 etc. Not sure about alk. Don't have or know how to test for it. It's frustrating cause my corals and drags r growing, and the fish look healthy. But the sand looks like ****. I'll mess wit the flow and see how it goes. P.s. oh yea I still run Bio balls!! I know u guys r gonna hate me for that, but don't worry by Tue my 75 gal sump & 30 gal fuge should be up.

what about your PO4 any readings on that?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: