BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Hey all,

I dont have the funds to upgrade my lighting setup to LEDs yet and plan to next year but until then, I did change out my bulbs of my current 48" 4 bulb t5 setup to all ATI bulbs. I currently have 2 Blue+ on one switch and 1 Ati purple plus and aquablue special on the other switch. Suggestions on bulb set up would be welcome also.

I have a 110 Tall 48x18x30 and have about a 1.5 inch sandbed. wondering what corals would be ok in it the tank and at which depth?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
with that depth... mushrooms and ricordea, yuma, you can prob get away with acans also. no sps unless you have a really high rock wall and can get it to the top. a 4bulb is not enough light for a 110.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
with that depth... mushrooms and ricordea, yuma, you can prob get away with acans also. no sps unless you have a really high rock wall and can get it to the top. a 4bulb is not enough light for a 110.
eventually im planning on getting the acan lighting 600 series. 2 18". but for now this is what i have.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
for one thing, LEDs last much longer, eliminates the need to replace bulbs every year and the big thing is the electricity costs are much lower. the entire setup Looks better in my opinion.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
An 8 Bulb Tek light would be perfect.

The Acan lights should be okay but I would make sure you get the right optics because I would be concerned about tapering on the edges.

On a random note, is that your car? If it is I think I've seen you around Northern and Bell lol

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I decided to go the inexpensive route. i picked up a nova extreme 8 bulb t5 fixture. so i guess im good to go on most corals now.

I would like to ask for tips on supplement regiments and proper husbandry to maintain good water quality as i get more coral. thanks

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I believe in keeping it really simple. No dosing or anything like that. If you keep up with like a 20% monthly water change you should have more than enough supplements (trace elements) in the salt to keep your reef going. It also helps in sustaining your water chemistry unless something bad happens.

The 8 bulb should be fine, but once you get enough money for LED's you're never going back to T5 lol.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
money isn't actually a factor. its justifying the expense. I decided to put some money in modding my everyday car and starting a family soon so its like. 8 bulb t5 will do the job i'll probably leave at that for a while and let the LED technology progress some more.

I was really set on 2 18" acan prisms. but now i think imma just wait.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I figured that. Wrong terms on my end.

You don't necessarily have to go Acan Lighting (they are on the higher end of the price spectrum and yes they are sleek and very sexy).

For your 110 you could have easily gotten another set of LED's like 2x EcoRay 60D's.

I had the same issue a few years back. Here's what went through my mind.
Buy the LEDs for $1600 or not... Back then I had an 8 Bulb Tek Light Fixture.

-I ended up saving ~ Avg. 30 dollars a month (just on standard electricity use)
-I didn't have to pay for a new set of bulbs for 6-8 months all the time (assuming standard 10 hour light cycle). That's 8 bulbs (and if you buy quality Geisseman or ATI this will easily be like $80 shipped online).
-The extra heat typically would require you to run things like an AC or a Chiller longer or at all (this would save you immensely).
-LED typical lifespan is 5 years or so before power starts to DROP (not go out just diminish).

Then there were the intangibles.
- You get that SHIMMER!!!!
- Less temperature fluctuation because now you don't have to worry about heat output (this would be a big one if you are keeping extra sensitive corals).
- My LEDs enabled full control via bluetooth so I could mess around with the appearance

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
A 30" deep tank is going to require a substantial LED setup. Tight optics will be a requirement for useable par at/near the sand bed. To cover that size tank your looking at at least 3 AI style units. Not sure the A and have the punch for that depth and your talking 2 18" units to cover.
As far as electric savings it's going to be minimal. Your looking at 360 watts of LEDS or 490 watts for an 8 bulb T5.
The difference in heat produced is also not as great S is being stated. Space your bulb changes out over the course of the year and you'll always have plenty of fresh bulbs and spread the cost out.
Some of the most amazing tanks on MR are T5 setups. Until we see the same proven track record with LEDs and the cost comes down there are as many reasons not to go with them as there to go with them....

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I believe in keeping it really simple. No dosing or anything like that. If you keep up with like a 20% monthly water change you should have more than enough supplements (trace elements) in the salt to keep your reef going. It also helps in sustaining your water chemistry unless something bad happens.

The 8 bulb should be fine, but once you get enough money for LED's you're never going back to T5 lol.

i know his is off topic, but you will need to dose atleast A&B, if nothing else.. even with regular water changes i got thru almost 20mL of each every day just to maintain 9.5 dkh and 440ppm ..

also with that depth your LED par is going to have to be very strong.. i would be happy with an 8 bulb t5 setup..
after i went led from t5 i didnt care for the color, i had the option to change bulbs and positions to get the colors i liked.. leds without going super crazy you may not be happy..

i had to add magenta into my led setup to make it where i wanted

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Aston Martin

Hey all,

I dont have the funds to upgrade my lighting setup to LEDs yet

but you have a Aston Martin!!!!!!!:wink1: lol

I have the same tank as you, right now I have a 48'' Coralife PC 4X65W
and a 48'' Marineland LED Reef Capable I got in on ebay for a sick price,
I know I dont have the best combo but for now its ok but now im looking to get a T5 on ebay.

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
i know his is off topic, but you will need to dose atleast A&B, if nothing else.. even with regular water changes i got thru almost 20mL of each every day just to maintain 9.5 dkh and 440ppm ..

also with that depth your LED par is going to have to be very strong.. i would be happy with an 8 bulb t5 setup..
after i went led from t5 i didnt care for the color, i had the option to change bulbs and positions to get the colors i liked.. leds without going super crazy you may not be happy..

i had to add magenta into my led setup to make it where i wanted

Depends on what corals you are keeping. Water changes are more than enough if you aren't one of those hardcore SPS heads lol.

I also realized the depth, that's why I mentioned the Ecorays because those things have super narrow optics which provides some great PAR and the width is more than enough to cover the tank with no tapers. The Acan lighting model he is referring to should be fine running at 100%.

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
but you have a Aston Martin!!!!!!!:wink1: lol

I have the same tank as you, right now I have a 48'' Coralife PC 4X65W
and a 48'' Marineland LED Reef Capable I got in on ebay for a sick price,
I know I dont have the best combo but for now its ok but now im looking to get a T5 on ebay.
i just picked up a nova extreme 8 bulb t5 fixture off the marketplace here. i feel it was a great deal. he was asking for $275.00. i see some similar deals. alex from aquatic life direct was having a sale and selling a 48" MH fixture for $200. this week, i dont know if he still has it.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/aquatic-life-direct/115283-final-chance-everything-must-go.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: