Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Being a newbie to saltwater, just picked up my Solana tank yesterday from Russ, what is a good tap water filter to start with?

I currently have an API tap water filter, which I used for my planted tank. I would like to know the difference between this filter and an RO filter.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Tap water filter is just the deionizing (usually last) section of a full ro /di system. I believe it works, but because the water is not prefiltered, you will burn through the resin quickly. I used one years ago. The price of the cartridges can add up quickly. If you running running a couple of tanks, you will make up the price of the full system pretty quickly.

PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I brought one and returned it without ever using it after everyone told me the same thing, that I will burn through refills quickly because I didn't have a prefilter system. I went a different route in regards to having an RO system as a prefilter cause I didn't want to have waste water. It's a bit different from the normal RO/DI system but it works for me. I put a Kold Steril unit before my dual DI filter. I initially made a valve system where I can use the Kold Steril alone for drinking/cooking water and use Kold Steril/DI for water changes and top offs that gives me 0 TDS water. As lfsmarineguy asked, "Did you get those plumbing schematics from Dr. Seuss?"...and rightfully so cause it was a bit wacky. Hehe. I have since changed the plumbing to a much more simpler system complete with a dual RO faucet where the left faucet is for Kold Steril/DI and the right is just for the Kold Steril. The frequency of refilling the DI stage is roughly at 1 stage every 4 months...which is fine for me.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tap water filter is just the deionizing (usually last) section of a full ro /di system. I believe it works, but because the water is not prefiltered, you will burn through the resin quickly. I used one years ago. The price of the cartridges can add up quickly. If you running running a couple of tanks, you will make up the price of the full system pretty quickly.

+1

Spot on

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the tap water filter for years. Every so often, I test for ammonia, chlorine, nitrates and phosphates after filtration and there is never a problem. If you are using NYC tap water, and if you have a 14gal or smaller, it lasts "forever"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: