saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
wow i really commend you for trying to really get your 20 gal going, it is a very rough thing to do with limited resources so for this i tip my hat you def have the patience to be a salty, im not sure if you posted it cause i skimmed through the thread a bit but what lighting are you using??

Last edited:

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
You really won't be able to keep any photosynthetic corals under that lighting. What fish stores do is short term only. Most are not too interested in the health of the animals

You might be able to keep a small fish or two in your setup, but only after you really know what the parameters are (at least ammonia, nitrite, Ph) and after the ich is cleared. Most likely,your damsel got ich from being compromised or weakened by something going on in the tank. Please don't add any other livestock until things are under control.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
All water perimeters are perfect all ai 0 with a ph of 8.4 cant i atleast have 1 small tang if i add lots of hidding

NO. The best thing you could spend your money on right now is a book about keeping a marine aquarium. You can get a used copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner on Amazon for less than $10, or go to your local library and pick up a few books. In this hobby, rushing things will only end up costing you more money.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well i guess ill chime in when you get your tank in a little better mode i can give you some Metallic Green Star Pylops they grow like a mat as for the ich your peppermint shrimp should clean off your domino but like everyone said don't add anything yet let it cycle out of your tank and for an inexpensive PO4 problem get chemi pure elite, and next time drip acclimate your fish so that they won't get sick Ich comes from rapid water temp changes its the fishes way of catching a cold lol and which pet shop are you going to i also live in the bronx and there are a few i can tell you stay away from they think they know what they are saying but not really they just want your money, and also try to let your tank ph level out without using the buffer. it will take some time but it will right now your fish and shrimp can tolerate slight swings and remember at night your ph will drop and then rise again through the day so be mindful when your checking it i check mine around 5 by that time the lights have been on for awhile and all my levels are at there peak each tank is different learn your tanks personality ( and yes i stole that saying from Mr. saltwater LOL )

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
well i guess ill chime in when you get your tank in a little better mode i can give you some metallic green star pylops they grow like a mat as for the ich your peppermint shrimp should clean off your domino but like everyone said don't add anything yet let it cycle out of your tank and for an inexpensive po4 problem get chemi pure elite, and next time drip acclimate your fish so that they won't get sick ich comes from rapid water temp changes its the fishes way of catching a cold lol and which pet shop are you going to i also live in the bronx and there are a few i can tell you stay away from they think they know what they are saying but not really they just want your money, and also try to let your tank ph level out without using the buffer. It will take some time but it will right now your fish and shrimp can tolerate slight swings and remember at night your ph will drop and then rise again through the day so be mindful when your checking it i check mine around 5 by that time the lights have been on for awhile and all my levels are at there peak each tank is different learn your tanks personality ( and yes i stole that saying from mr. Saltwater lol )
aww thanks so much... I go to the one on 230th in broadway are you familiar with it?and do you check ph everyday?

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
The little bs fish stores will guide u in the wrong direction if ur not careful, go to maximum reefs in mt Vernon and talk to Isaac, he wouldn't sell u anything u don't need. I made the mistake and spend a grand when I first started on equipment I didn't need, I think u should hook up with someone who knows what their doing, it'll save u a bunch of money on trying to go into it alone

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The little bs fish stores will guide u in the wrong direction if ur not careful, go to maximum reefs in mt Vernon and talk to Isaac, he wouldn't sell u anything u don't need. I made the mistake and spend a grand when I first started on equipment I didn't need, I think u should hook up with someone who knows what their doing, it'll save u a bunch of money on trying to go into it alone
ILL TAKE YOU UP ON YOUR OFFER LOL... JUST GREAT I DIDINT THINK THEIR WAS ANYONE FROM THE BRONX ON HERE ITS RARE.. AND STUPID PETLAND TOLD ME ONLY 2 PETSHOPS HAD SW TANKS IN THE BRONX:irked:

WilFresco

Master Debator
Rating - 97.8%
88   2   0
ILL TAKE YOU UP ON YOUR OFFER LOL... JUST GREAT I DIDINT THINK THEIR WAS ANYONE FROM THE BRONX ON HERE ITS RARE.. AND STUPID PETLAND TOLD ME ONLY 2 PETSHOPS HAD SW TANKS IN THE BRONX:irked:

As a matter of fact, I just ordered my tank for a new setup and am just waiting to get a stand made, when im ready to set it up ur more than welcome to come and see me get it up and running, just to give u an idea of what u need to do, but like plateboy said, what works for one person might not work for u, there's always different effective ways to do things. There's alot of us from the Bronx on here too

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: