Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Why am i finding it sooooooooooo hard to keep Favias and Acans alive in my SPS tank i would think that they would flourish in such a setup here are my tank stats: you tell me what you guys think also tank been running for over a year.

Lights 2MH 14k 175watt, 3 super actinic blue, 1 6500k all are 80watt t5's
Ca- 460
Alk- bet. 7.8 - 8.4 ( trying to get it steady at 8.4 )
Mag. 1410
Temp steady 78 deg.
salinity 1.025
Nitrites 0
ammonia 0
phosphates 0
Nitrates 5-10ppm
Iodide 0.01
PH 8.40 @ the time i sent this thread
120gal. tank dual overflow

i would love to get some nice colorful favias to go along the bottom of the tank to add some color or even some nice acans

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Do they bleach or does the tissue just fall apart? If they are bleached it's too much light. Lot's of "reef safe" fish actually do eat fleshy corals. They can also be starving. Do you spot feed? I would say turn off all flow wait a little while then try to feed them with a syringe. If they are in very bad shape as in crumbling you can also try putting in sump with minimal light/animal interaction to try and bring it back.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
i think it may be a combo of all the above starving fish picking at them and light i know I've seen my flame angle pick at my clam until it just gave up and died but didn't think it would do that to the favia since i only seen there feeder tentacles at night and i don't spot feed i broadcast i turn off protein skimmer for about 15 minutes and broadcast the tank

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If everything else is in check most likely your water is to clean, sterile. Do your SPS look a little pale and not saturated in color? Then you need to feed more (be careful). I have been trying to to get a more sautared color in my corals by feeding more (twice a day) which is working nicely. As an added bonus any acans and zoa started to come back to life. In my tanks these were just merely surviving. I did not care much about that as I had only a couple of frags. Even some remnants of Xenia is coming back. I had not seen this in months.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I would definately consider the Flame Angel

i think it may be a combo of all the above starving fish picking at them and light i know I've seen my flame angle pick at my clam until it just gave up and died but didn't think it would do that to the favia since i only seen there feeder tentacles at night and i don't spot feed i broadcast i turn off protein skimmer for about 15 minutes and broadcast the tank

Just my experience, my Flame ate my acans and nipped at my favias as well, before he moved out

KuyaMark

Pinoy Reef Addict!
Rating - 99.4%
173   1   0
If everything else is in check most likely your water is to clean, sterile. Do your SPS look a little pale and not saturated in color? Then you need to feed more (be careful). I have been trying to to get a more sautared color in my corals by feeding more (twice a day) which is working nicely. As an added bonus any acans and zoa started to come back to life. In my tanks these were just merely surviving. I did not care much about that as I had only a couple of frags. Even some remnants of Xenia is coming back. I had not seen this in months.

+1 feed your tank more and you will see them comeback

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: