rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Dry rock is a pain in the a$$ to cure.I recommend seeding with a piece of LR and adding a fish(damsel) or not.I'm going through a long cycle myself.
she has an established tank zany that rock can just be added into her tank if im not mistaking it doesnt need to go thru a cycle lol all she nneds to do is clean it from what i understand. not need for a damsel.

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dry rock is a pain in the a$$ to cure.I recommend seeding with a piece of LR and adding a fish(damsel) or not.I'm going through a long cycle myself.
i have a damsel and 4lbs of live rock in my display tank should i add the 15lbs of dry rock and stack the live on top and let it ... then again i do have a shrimp and a starfish is this fine??? HOW WILL I KNOW THAT IT IS OK TO ADD ROCK TO TANK

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
she has an established tank zany that rock can just be added into her tank if im not mistaking it doesnt need to go thru a cycle lol all she nneds to do is clean it from what i understand.

She most certainly does not have an 'established tank' (think a good year to calla tank 'established') ..She has a 4 month old tank, that has a low amount of bacteria as it only currently has 4 ponds of live rock in it.
If she adds dry rock to that tank...which has a fish and inverts in it - she WILL go through a cycle, probably a major one.

The rock should be cured outside of the tank prior to being added, or she should purchase established live rock is she is in a hurry to add more to the tank.

kay18321

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
she most certainly does not have an 'established tank' (think a good year to calla tank 'established') ..she has a 4 month old tank, that has a low amount of bacteria as it only currently has 4 ponds of live rock in it.
If she adds dry rock to that tank...which has a fish and inverts in it - she will go through a cycle, probably a major one.

The rock should be cured outside of the tank prior to being added, or she should purchase established live rock is she is in a hurry to add more to the tank.
thanks... Ill just do that to be on the safe side... I have my rock in a 5 gallon bucket with a power head but i have no heater :/ ca this still work without one

Raul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
You should add all the rock you are going to need in the display and remove all livestock. Almost like you are starting over. Dry rock can hold a lot of phosphates that can give you some real problems in the long run. I recommend letting the tank run without any livestock for at least a month..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: