Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OK now that I just bought my 37g upgrade I am thinking about having a custom hood built for it. For that I will be looking into a retrofit kit to put into the hood...

I am thinking about something like this...

http://www.hellolights.com/24cusretkit.html

Because 24" is rather small in width and I want at least 300w total would a 250w MH bulb with 2X75w VHO actinic bulbs be OK, or does the actinic not really factor into the lighting so much - more for asthetics?

:thanks:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Actinics do factor in.

For that size tank, 1 X 250w MH w/ 1 X 75w VHO will suffice. 2 VHOs even better if it fits or if the extra electrical bill is not an issue.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks!

The tanks dimensions are 24.5L X 18.5W X 21.5H.

The lights will probably be at least 8" above the water, but I can't say for sure as I do not have the hood built yet.

The tank will mainly be LPS and softies, though I am planning on some hardier SPS... I want to keep my options open and not upgrade lights in a year.

Pros/Cons to 250w w/ 2X 75 VHO bulbs vs. 2X150w MH w/o any VHO?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Reefer420 said:
Pros/Cons to 250w w/ 2X 75 VHO bulbs vs. 2X150w MH w/o any VHO?

MH alone will not give you the option for a dawn/dusk effect. However, if the tank has a crossbrace, the 2 150w's should prevent shadowing if they're placed correctly above the tank.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
you tank is only 22" tall so you don't need the 250 watts especially if your not planning on keeping shallow water species. the 2 MH may displace the light better then 1 but the tank is small so it may not be a factor. If you do go for the 2 mh I would use a 20k or at least a 14k.
either one will do you fine.
it's kind of a hard decion I like having two mh better then having one because of the shading hmmm. But I also like a 250w better then 150's. I would go for the 150's if you diddn't hang it so high above the aquarium. Considering it's going to be hung 8" above the aquarium I'm going to suggest the 250 with 2 vho.

but I would get a 14 or 20k mh bulb and make one vho actinic and the other 10k to avoid shadding and this way you could use the mh to get a "high noon" effect.

hope this helps

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
hmmm.. so possibly 250wMH 14k w/ 1 75w VHO actinic & 1 VHO 75w Daylight? No center brace on the tank...

OK - here's the response from the guy I might get to build the hood..I sent him a pic of a 37g w/ a hood to look at...

Please go to my site and look at #8. This is for a 10 gallon tank but I could make one just like that to fit your 37 gallon. It has the open back, flip top and holes on the sides for fans. It's made of oak and I can send it to you unfinished so you can stain it the color of your chosing. It would be made of oak. That canopy in the picture looks to be about 12" high. This would leave you about 10" for lights. I can make a rail on the inside for the glass to sit on but with a open back that may make problems.

I don't know how high most people have their MH off of their tanks? Its a custom hood, so I can ask for any height...

btw- the guys site is... http://www.hogshoods.com/tankcanopies.html he's been great to deal w/ so far.

The hood will be similar to #8. I'm going to order stain from Oceanic so the hood matches the stand.

Suggestions to make this work? (ie 400w MH, etc....)?

Thanks again for the help!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ok- looks like I might have a winner here...

<A href="http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_cat.php?category=MH%20/%20VHO%20Retrofits&subcategory=24"%20COMBO%20Retrofits">http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_cat.php?category=MH%20/%20VHO%20Retrofits&subcategory=24"%20COMBO%20Retrofits

I like either the 250w or 400w MH - not bad prices either! Suggestions on which would be better? And how high to place them above the water? Thanks!

Sorry - for some reason it is not coming up as a hyperlink..

Last edited:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reefer-nothings coming up for those links
I think a 400 watt might be overkill. 250 should be fine.

Deanos the idea behind the Daylight VHO's
I've done tanks with one MH and actinic lighting and found the sides of the corals that didn't get light wouldn't color up as nice and they all seemed to grow towards the center (towards the light). This was fixed by adding a full spectrum 10k fluorescent to the tank.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ok- lets try this link...

http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.php?dbid=306

I was worried about one Mh light focusing light too much in the middle...so 400w is overkill... how about 250w 14k MH w/ 1X75 w Actinic MH, 1x75w VHO daylight (or white? what is the difference?)

I could also go PC - but I think VHO is better for actinic, right?

How high should I have the hood hold the bulbs off of the water?

Thanks again!

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Sean said:
Deanos the idea behind the Daylight VHO's
I've done tanks with one MH and actinic lighting and found the sides of the corals that didn't get light wouldn't color up as nice and they all seemed to grow towards the center (towards the light). This was fixed by adding a full spectrum 10k fluorescent to the tank.

:scratch: Interesting concept. I'll keep it in mind :Hydrogen:

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Personally, for your size tank, I'd go with a mixture of 4 T-5 florescents with Icecap SLR refectors and an Icecap 430 ballast and be done with it. If you are set on halides, I'd go with either 2 150W DE Phoenix 14K's or 2 175 W. Iwasaki 14K SE lamps ( PAR is approaching 250W lamps on these bulbs) and ditch the supplemental lighting. For reference, I use 3 250 watt DE on my 6' 125g. system, and 3 250 W.SE plus VHO on my 7' 210g. and this is more than enough light. Ask people who were at the swap if I have growth or coloration issues.

Randy

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You're telling me!

The tank came w/ a 4X24w Tek Light T-5 system by sunlight supply. I didn't think this is enough for 37g mixed reef and be able to have flexability to keep clams, etc., so I am going to sell and upgrade.

I would prefer 2X150w as well, but I am unable to find a 24" retro kit w/ 2X150w Mh's. ANyone?

As of now it looks like a single 250w MH w/ 2X75w VHO....

Any suggestions as to how high above the water MH bulbs such as this should be placed?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: