Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i went with mh and i couldnt be happier... i threw in 2 fans one for out going and one for incoming air and have no heat problems... the back is also open... i think u would be fine either with one 250k as listed already if there is a center brace then 2 175 watt mh's depending if you went with the 10 k then i would go with 2 super actnic vho's if you go with 14k bulbs then u can go with 1 vho for the affect... everyone has mentioned great ideas so far... wow we have a great crew here.... ;)

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I know - this forum is so much better than any other i've been on... :hug:

No center brace so I'm thinking 1X250MH and 2X75w VHO...

This project is getting me excited again - I love the planning almost as much as the setting up!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ur talking about the MH retro's.... just get the kits dont get the whole thing.... no need for it...

check out hellolights.com.... they got there MH kits for cheap and there very reliable i am the proud owner of 2.... and can tell ya with hamilton 14 k it looks sensational....

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats cutting it close if you think you can fit it then go for it just remember to ventlate the hood as much as you can.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yeah- maybe i should just keep it simple and stay w/ the retrofit 1X250w MH and VHO...

w/ 2 4" fans in the hood I think it should be fine w/ the external ballast...

OK- next question is (sorry guys - thanks for helping me out here...)

what would you consider necessary options for this kit?

http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.php?dbid=305

I was thinking:
-dual fan kit
- VHO waterproof endcaps
-aircooled ballast box
-moonlights (though I might just get another kind...

should I upgrade ballasts, etc?

Thanks! :teeth:

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I know no one seems to agree with me, but there is no reason you need a 250W MH lamp over this size aquarium. I don't care what you want to keep. In fact, I think you may find it difficult to keep some of the LPS and leathers you want to keep presently. 1 150W. DE or 175 W SE with or without VHO or T-5 supplements is more than enough light. Just make sure you get a good reflector and choose a good bulb. This system is about the same size as my seahorse tank which would be toast both from excess heat and excess light with a 250 W lamp. You seem to have settled on the notion of roughly 10 watts per gallon which is really quite high and not required for any of the organisms we keep... especially in such a shallow tank.

Good luck whatever you decide on,

Randy

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i dunno- i think the tank is fairly deep at 21.5", not to mention I'll have the bulb about 8" from the water...

I agree w/ you about the lights - I have an 80w PC over my 16 g and most things do OK - I even have some SPS (brown though).

The best LPS/softie systems I've seen usually have betwen 7-10w/ gallon if you want to go by wattage, which is why I am looking in that direction. I don't think 10w/ gallon is all that much - i've seen quite a few sps tanks w/ way over 16w/g in shallow tanks!

But I've also seen sick non-sps tanks w/ 12w/ gallon... and others w/ 3.5 -> 5 so who knows? :headache: I would rather be on the safe side though.

Any one else have thoughts on this?

btw- i would love some input about the options i mentioned above. Thanks! :biggrin:

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I have a 180, and using your math (and direction), I would need to keep 1800w's of halide lighting to be successful.

I have a 1000 watts of halides over my tank with NO actinic supplementation. My math shows me that's ~5.5w's per gallon

Here is a link to some of the most recent updated shots of my tank -

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/11418-uodated-shots.html

Talk about colors :Yikes:

I say no more than 5w per gallon or you're going to boil everything if not sunburn it to death.

House

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
arg- lighting certainly is still up in the air in terms of advice! :scratchch

i didn't mean 10w/g as a rule... I am worried about getting enough light down 29".

250w MH would have more par to reach bottom than 1 or even 2X150wMH's, right?

Keep the advice coming! I'm spending some time planning this tank, and I want to learn as much as I can..

My current tank didnt require much knowledge on lights- just got a PC fixture that would it over it!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
How do you guys who just use 20k MH on your tank like the look of things? Which bulbs do you use?

I'm thinking of possibly just going w/ a single 250w MH bulb fixture like this to save $ and keep it simple...

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104380.html

or this (which is better?)

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104304.html

Thoughts on that? How many inches would you recommend bulb place ment above the water (tank is 21.5" deep), 8" or 10"?

Thanks again!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: