Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Quick question about the custom hood...

How are the lights typically mounted? I know they are mounted to the top of the hood, and that that piece is hinged to allow tank access, but how are the lights seperated from the water?

I would want to place an acrylic shield between the single socket MH bulb, but I don't want to place it so that it just rests on the wood- making it so that I would have to remove the acrylic piece to have tank access...

What is typically done? Are the bulbs just mounted high enough from the water to prevent splashes?

Also - most custom hoods have fans in them. Are these fans to blow by the lights or on the tank water?

Sorry if I'm confusing here...

Last edited:

coralcrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
97   1   0
No..no acrylic shield...it will melt..use temepered glass....You can do 2 things...with the fans..one blowing in one blowing out or you can do both blowing out... MH is about 6 inches above water line......hope this helps man..

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have the center of my MH bulbs at eight inches above the water. I don't use any type of splash guard.

As to fans, I have mine blowing over the water. It does cools the inside of the hood, but more importantly it helps cool the tank by promoting evaporation. I built a hood for my friends 90 gallon, and I used two fans, both blowing in. I don't see any point in running two fans, one blowing in and the other blowing out.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Could I see any pics?

I was told by a manufacturer that when using Mogul sockets not to use tempered glass - it will not allow the correct spectrum of lighting to get through. Tempered glass was to be used w/ HQI only.

They suggested acrylic about 4" from the bulb...

So 8" from the water would be OK w/o a splash guard?

Thanks!

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have never had any problems and I have been running them that way for about five years, nor am I aware of anybody having any problems. There is some discussion that some types of bulbs require UV sheilding and that some do not. I have used Hamilton, Ushio and Coralife bulbs without a problem.

I will post pictures of my hood tonight.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks - thats good to know.

From what I was told when I called a light manufacturer, HQI have no UV sheilding and need the glass - while single ended can not have glass in front of them b/c the UV filter is built into the bulb itself...

So you guys just access the tank for feeding by lifting up the lid of the hood - bulbs and all?

Thanks!

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Reefer420 said:
Thanks - thats good to know.

From what I was told when I called a light manufacturer, HQI have no UV sheilding and need the glass - while single ended can not have glass in front of them b/c the UV filter is built into the bulb itself...

So you guys just access the tank for feeding by lifting up the lid of the hood - bulbs and all?

Thanks!

this is how I built mine, the MH reflector will be mounted to the underside of the lid, the fan is blowing in.

Attachments

• hood 002  small.jpg
    hood 002 small.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 37

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: