drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
sorry have to repeat this post
Cant figure out y my turboz are dying. TEMP 78-81, phosphates i dont have the test kit for Nitrates are at 0 amonia 0 ph 8.1 8.2 calcium 390 410
I do have a lot of diatom blooms. I have a star bust polyp and it loos like its enjoying the water conditions but in the bottom of my tank i have some zooz and for the last day they been looking skimpy and thinning. My clown has died a week ago i have no idea what from. any 1 has any ideas so that i could investigate my mistakes.

To be honest with u guys i think i have som astro snails but i was told they are turbos. May be they , dont have pics.

I am just really woried about my cyno issue i see some light green splats, and big patches of diatoms blooming. Maybe cause i am running a crappy lighting system for now but will upgrade to orbit 192Watt
I dont over feed cause i got 1 fish for now and 2 sps. I dont understand where the phosphates are comming from. May be i got diatoms cuase my rodi got dirty?!!?!?! so disapointed in my self lol

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Inverts usually are first to go due to their sensitivity in any fluctuations in the water quality. You should run some more checks on PH and or ALK, sometimes calcium may be a culprit as well since it helps them build new shells....as for the clown i am leaning towards PH being off or a small amonia spike of some kind (any new rocks go in the tank lately or creatures die in an area you havent checked?), i know my ph and alk was never right for awhile prior to now and i could never house any inverts after my cleaner just died one day....but the amonia could do it just as fast too!...:scratchch

Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
dr.peretz...check your phosphate levels. A description of your system, filtration, etc. would help us help you. :)

Sometimes snails would die becuase there just isnt enough to eat. For example, after I got one huge mexican turbo snail, my other 6 astrea died one by one cuase there wasnt enough food to go around.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Are you having a lot of the turboz dying or just one turbo?

Does every single one you have died? How long have they lived in your tank?

Do you thinking you have enough food for them and are they actively feeding? (I will just rely on your judgement-there's no set answer to these)

If you have the phosphate reading and temperature. They could come in handy.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I've got lots of Turbos (Astreas) in my tank. I also have plenty that die and more that live. Turbos don't have the ability to 'right' themselves if they are knocked over or fall. When this happens they are prone to predators and/or starvation from not being able to forage for food.

Just because some die doesn't necessarily mean water quality is bad or 'off'. I'd definitely check the parameters, but I'd also sit back and observe your tank. You might see the problem.

Russ

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
What type of Turbro do you have and how long have you had them? Mexican Turbro(pictured below) are from cooler water and a lot of them don't last a long time, over 1 year or less, though some can last quite longer. So check you temperature as high temperature may cause some to die if they can't adjust.

p_79687.jpg

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
masterswimmer said:
I've got lots of Turbos (Astreas) in my tank. I also have plenty that die and more that live. Turbos don't have the ability to 'right' themselves if they are knocked over or fall. When this happens they are prone to predators and/or starvation from not being able to forage for food.

Just because some die doesn't necessarily mean water quality is bad or 'off'. I'd definitely check the parameters, but I'd also sit back and observe your tank. You might see the problem.

Russ

Masterswimmer,

I concur your observation about predation of astrea but turbos are not astrea. See the pic above, those are turbos.

FYI, Astrea has white cone shells.

Dr,
I assume you do have water parameters acceptable to most reefers here. I am askiing about phosphate only because most reefers do not know the relations of phosphate with snails even though phosphate is well know for the algae.

Since no phosphate reading and not seeing how your snails are feeding personally I cannot tell for sure if phosphate play a part in your case but, in general, snails will loose appetite when ingested phosphate chemicals. So ironic, but true, phosphate promote algae, snails eat algae, but snails gets sluggished when eating wrong type of phospate chemical.

Temperature plays a heavy part too-Most reefers fail in raising snails(and most shelled animals) because water are too hot. If you got true turbos, they are cool water animals. You can get Vietnam Turbos. Those will thrill in the temperature you mentioned.

When you have a pic, we can help you ID the snail and better help you to raise more of the snails.

Last edited:

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thanx Wingo

Your info is very helpful about harmful phosphat chemz. I am think to use a phoszob or any chemical that removes cilicates and phos..tes. Do u think its a good idea to stop my cyno prob?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
WingoAgency said:
Masterswimmer,

I concur your observation about predation of astrea but turbos are not astrea. See the pic above, those are turbos.

FYI, Astrea has white cone shells.

Wingo,

Apparently others, vendors, sell Astreas as Turbos also:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=342&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

My post about his particular type of snail was post #6. The pic of the mexican turbo snail was post #7.

Russ

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
masterswimmer said:
Wingo,

Apparently others, vendors, sell Astreas as Turbos also:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=342&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

My post about his particular type of snail was post #6. The pic of the mexican turbo snail was post #7.

Russ

Thanks for pointing out. So we should be more careful in naming them from now on since even vendors give confusing names.

I always run into similar problem when asking for certain items, but when they come they don't look like what I expect.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
WingoAgency said:
Thanks for pointing out. So we should be more careful in naming them from now on since even vendors give confusing names.

I always run into similar problem when asking for certain items, but when they come they don't look like what I expect.

I guess you haven't been in the hobby that long as this is a common problem. Many fish, corals, inverts and what have you are called different name from place to place. That why I ask what type of Turbo snail he had and post a picture of a mexican Turbo.

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Salinity

My salinity ranges from 1.024-1.025.

I think I soulf make another thread for this but can diatoms and unwanted allgae bloom out cause of my cheap poor lighting? I am using a power glow 30 watt lamp that will be upgraded to orbit soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: