Mindsgoneawol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to start some place.. I think fish is a good place to start. When I get better with caring for them and am confident I will move up to the more difficult critters. (Anemone)

I know about the "opinionated" end of equipment. I build and repair computers for a hobbie. I see it all the time.. Intel vs AMD. my opinion is go Intel. Others live by AMD. Both work almost the same and work well.. which do u go with?

I do know that I will be buying a large tank. I will be going to a place that specializes in aquariums this weekend. I want to see what I may be able to afford. I also will be getting some books and such too.

I printed the equipment list to go over. Going to do some shopping on that end to to see what is available and read up on too.. I know what some stuff does and how it works. Others I haven't heard of. (But I think thats part of the fun.. learning)

So far its been interesting. I have looked into the fish. Looks like goby clowns and the hermit crabs. (although I still need to look at compatibility.)
I want to stay with the 2 to 3" critters. (start small) I still need to learn about the corals and live rock. Its gonna be several months before I get fish. (or even have all the parts to start up the tank to cycle)

Thanx for all the great tips.. :) :fish:

Mindsgoneawol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fritz said:
I couldn't agree more. If there is anything that this hobby has taught me it is to NOT cut corners. Trying to save a buck will cost you far more in the long run because you'll end up spending the money to do it the right way anyhow.
Melev has a nice 29 gallon tank with clowns and anemones http://www.melevsreef.com/
This is an inexpensive (relatively) means of reaching your goal. Don't skimp or you'll doom yourself to failure. Buy an RO/DI unit to treat your tap water etc.

Keep reading... and like Sean said buy what you want if you setup a tank that doesn't have what you want it'll cost you much more to change everything over to the type of tank that you wanted in the first place and GO SLOW! Just keep reminding yourself that the world's reefs took millions of years to get the way they are you aren't going to be able to do it quickly. If you were to buy everything that you needed and wanted today, your perfect tank is still one year away.

Bookmarked!!! will be back to finish reading.. this is what i am looking into doing.. love the reef.. both actually.. lots of great info..!!!!!! :goldfish2

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: