RareZ

Azad
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
post about putting your hand in the tank will make your skimmer act differntly all of a suddent.

I did notice that with my skimmer (HOB) and was wondering if that was related to it.. can you tell me why that happens?

Everytime I put my hand in the tank, I see whole bunch of micro bubbles start to come out of the skimmer and the top bubbles stop forming for a while and goes back after a long long time. I never thought it was related to it besides putting my hand in there making the water level to rise (but even that, it would be very small amount for a 55G tank. I have a crappy skimmer to begin with so I thought it was more of a skimmer flaw than a fact in general. Its hard for my skimmer ( Sea CLOWN ) to produce 1/6 th of the cup in 4 days. Anyway to make it bette?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Putting your hand in the tank will affect your skimmer. There are oils, dirt detergeants, perfumes :D and otherthings on your skin, that will all effect your skimmer in one way or another.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Dude get rid of the seaclone and get the remora it's a better skimmer.

Oils from your hand and the other things mes mentiones as well as any water conditioners you may add to the water will mess with the skimming of your tank.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The same thing happens if you clean the skimmer and touch any of it with your bare hands- it makes the skimmate less likely to form (like the foam on a beer- if you wipe the side of your nose with your finger and swirl it in the foam, the head will go down b/c oil and bubbles don't mix!).

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Reefer420 said:
The same thing happens if you clean the skimmer and touch any of it with your bare hands- it makes the skimmate less likely to form (like the foam on a beer- if you wipe the side of your nose with your finger and swirl it in the foam, the head will go down b/c oil and bubbles don't mix!).

i shouLd try tHis to saVe money. get drunK faster wiTh my cooties ;):chef::eek:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: