Tube Worms?

kimoyo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I saw this posted in a thread and asked what the white spots were. Someone replied tube worms.

Whats the best way to get rid of them? How long can they survive outside of water? Thanks.

kimoyo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey Randy,

So they are tube worms? Yes, I know they help filter the water but they are an eyesore for me. They are easy to pick off but they started growing in my skimmer which is a hassle to take out and clean.

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
Yes tube worms or some sort of vermetid snail. I'd just leave them alone. You have no idea how many of these I have growing in my skimmers... but then again, I'm not a hyper drive BMW skimmer at peak performance kind of guy. I do think it is a losing battle to try to elimate them though... kind of a big part of the "live" in live rock. Randy

kimoyo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
prattreef said:
Yes tube worms or some sort of vermetid snail. I'd just leave them alone. You have no idea how many of these I have growing in my skimmers... but then again, I'm not a hyper drive BMW skimmer at peak performance kind of guy. I do think it is a losing battle to try to elimate them though... kind of a big part of the "live" in live rock. Randy
Funny you should mention that because I'm worried about my new skimmer :). I'm about to dry my tank out anyway so thats why I was wondering if they could survive out of water. Would foam on the skimmer pump intake help?

prattreef

Administrator
Rating - 97.3%
73   2   0
It might, not sure about the size of the larval stage though. If you do this, you better be diligent about cleaning the foam or your skimmer performance will be impeded. Randy

kimoyo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm going to be using filter socks with the new skimmer and I'm not getting anymore snails which is how they got into my tank. I'm also going to get new rock so hopefully I won't have to worry about them. Do most people have these in their tank?

Deanos

Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Paul, I think you'd have a better chance killing amphipods individually with a sewing needle than eradicating all traces of these snails.

kimoyo

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Deanos said:
Paul, I think you'd have a better chance killing amphipods individually with a sewing needle than eradicating all traces of these snails.
If they stay in the tank thats one thing. But these guys got all over my deltec ap600 and if they get all over my barr thats where I'm drawing the line.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
kimoyo said:
If they stay in the tank thats one thing. But these guys got all over my deltec ap600 and if they get all over my barr thats where I'm drawing the line.
The answer lies in a contraption called a filtersock. Try it. Worked for me.

Featured Sponsors