masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Paul, I don't know anyone who doesn't get them with a healthy system. I've got them all over my Lifereef skimmer, sump, pumps, basically everything. They do nothing but good for your system. Like Randy said, they're part of the 'live' in live rock.

Why are you so set against them? They're all part of a maturing, healthy system.

Russ

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey Russ,

I guess for me its more about what I like to see and be happy with.

I just don't get hyped over stuff like this. I doubt that the tube worms will have an appreciable effect in such low numbers but maybe they do. Does anyone know how much nutrients are taken out of the water by one tube worm? When I think of live rock, I think bacteria. I don't think these tube worms are a precursor for a healthy system just a result of being passed around. I always try to remind myself that theres more than one way to do things in this hobby.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
I always try to remind myself that theres more than one way to do things in this hobby.

Hey Paul,
No doubt about it. I'm the first to agree with that, especially since I maintain plenty of sps and don't dose anything whatsoever. So I'd be foolish to disagree with you there.

However, a skimmer, sump, fuge, overflow, etc. are not really display areas. So I was wondering why the carnage against them there. I can buy the display tank arguement, but I'm still confused about the 'behind the scenes' locations, considering they are beneficial.

Keep in mind, this isn't intended to flame, just question your reasoning. Keep you on your toes my friend :thrash: .

ms

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Paul,
No one is saying you're going to harm your tank by ridding yourself of them, just trying to understand your seemingly unique irritation with a very common, harmless ( for once), and not easy to deal with "problem". On my list of reef concerns these would be like... well... they wouldn't make the top 100:) But, I guess if this is the biggest problem you have to deal with in your system, you're in pretty good shape.

It's your hobby enjoy it any way you like:)

Randy

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Hey Paul,
No doubt about it. I'm the first to agree with that, especially since I maintain plenty of sps and don't dose anything whatsoever. So I'd be foolish to disagree with you there.

However, a skimmer, sump, fuge, overflow, etc. are not really display areas. So I was wondering why the carnage against them there. I can buy the display tank arguement, but I'm still confused about the 'behind the scenes' locations, considering they are beneficial.

Keep in mind, this isn't intended to flame, just question your reasoning. Keep you on your toes my friend :thrash: .

ms

Wait 2-3 weeks and I'll post pictures or better you can come over if your in the city but my skimmer will be a part of my display area :D.

Anything that grows on the walls is a pain for me because I worry about scratching my acrylic up. And to me white dots all over the rock don't look too good, although they will probably get covered in coralline eventually.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
Wait 2-3 weeks and I'll post pictures or better you can come over if your in the city but my skimmer will be a part of my display area :D.

That's a sweet skimmer Paul. I didn't know you were making it the centerpiece in your LR (Living Room not Live Rock :banghead: ) :kidding:
Straying off topic for a moment, what kind of skimmer is that? Never mind, fine print >>> Barr Aquatics, duh.

Next time I plan a jaunt into the city, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/kimoyo_/barrskimmer.jpg

kimoyo said:
Anything that grows on the walls is a pain for me because I worry about scratching my acrylic up. And to me white dots all over the rock don't look too good.

As you know, I have a 75 acrylic myself, so I completely understand that thought. Mine is scratched to hell as it is and I can't stand it.

As far as it being on the rocks, I don't mind it...... but that's just me. You have to live with it in your tank.

Russ

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
prattreef said:
Paul,
No one is saying you're going to harm your tank by ridding yourself of them, just trying to understand your seemingly unique irritation with a very common, harmless ( for once), and not easy to deal with "problem". On my list of reef concerns these would be like... well... they wouldn't make the top 100:) But, I guess if this is the biggest problem you have to deal with in your system, you're in pretty good shape.

It's your hobby enjoy it any way you like:)

Randy
Randy,

I really wasn't trying to go to deep on this one. As with many things, large quanties aren't usually a good thing and these guys have no natural predators in my tank as of now (except me :)). But I don't even believe in the usefulness of snails, so I guess I'm out of mainstream thinking on some things :lol2:.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
masterswimmer said:
That's a sweet skimmer Paul. I didn't know you were making it the centerpiece in your LR (Living Room not Live Rock :banghead: ) :kidding:
Straying off topic for a moment, what kind of skimmer is that? Never mind, fine print >>> Barr Aquatics, duh.

Next time I plan a jaunt into the city, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
:shhh: Its a SK5220 with extension, the thing is awesome :D. I got it friday but I'm surprised I've been able to control myself and not post about it until now. I'm still waiting for some stuff from Barr and haven't had a chance to build my sump yet. Once those two things happy it will up and running and I'll post pics in the skimmer thread.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
You have a small cat.. Or that skimmer is HUGE!

What's up with the sump? did you flatten out the pieces?

I had those snails when my tank was first setup, they either got eaten by fish(CBB) or the coraline overgrew them, I only see them in my detritus trapping\holding area now:D.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
cali_reef said:
You have a small cat.. Or that skimmer is HUGE!

What's up with the sump? did you flatten out the pieces?

I had those snails when my tank was first setup, they either got eaten by fish(CBB) or the coraline overgrew them, I only see them in my detritus trapping\holding area now:D.
Lol...hey Pierce,

Nah fiesti is a larger cat, hehe. The skimmer I think is about 5' with one extension (I could have added another also).

I had some family stuff to do last weekend and some issues at work so I haven't had a chance to flatten them out but I might have time tomorrow to start but it just depends on how work turns out. If I put them in the oven on a sheet, how long and high should I set it do you think? I believe the tub in my mom's house is flat so that might be the way to go when I get there. There some stuff I have to wait for Brent to send back to me so I won't be able to use the skimmer until next week anyway, but its worth the wait to me.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: