Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So, can anyone fill me on on compatability of clams in a SPS tank which gets dailys doses of Strontonium via 2 part calcium additives?

THe reason I ask is this...

I had two clams... One blue... (not sure of the specific name) and I HAD one tear drop. recently did a water change everything was ok. I then decided to start adding som CA again (which I hadn't done since having the clams) and within two days of adding the CA 2-part the tear drop died. The blue clam started closing up on me, but seems to have recovered after stopping the CA additive.

My step father showed me a book which stated Clams and Strontonium were a bad idea...

??? so I guess I gave my Tear drop a "lethal injection" ???

Rich

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Sorry to hear about your clam. Do you mean strontium in addition to a 2 part supplement or simply the trace amounts of strontium found in 2 parters like B-ionic? If the later, I and many others have been using B-Ionic etc. exclusively and in rather large quantities for years with all sorts of clams without problem.

How were you maintaining calcium prior to resuming the dosing? If the 2 are related (calm death and Ca dosing) at all, I suspect pH spikes as a more likely culprit, but this doesn't sound right to me either... a happy, healthy clam is pretty tough little sucker.

Randy

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sorry to hear that Rich.

More info like Dean and Randy asked would help. What were the CA levels before, and how much did you dose, what brand did you use.

It does sound strange, both clams reacting to dosing supplements.

I'm also curious, what book said not to dose stronium with clams?

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
very sorry to hear that rich.... test your parameters and let us know what they are... or i can come over w/ some test kits.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi all sorry for not responding sooner. Life is a bit crazy lately... College Classes (earth Science actually... have to take it), Jiu-Jitsu classes, the baby, work and the wife have me going out of my mind.

Ok as for the clam...

I am using the 2 part by Two Little Fishes... C-Balance. I'm sure it's a trace amount of Stront. in it... But I can't seem to pinpoint what my probablem could have been. My CA is hovering aroun 400, normal stuff; Amon, N02/3 , PH, are all 0 / 8.2

Water changes are done every other week now. Usally 5 gallon (10%) using Instant Ocean. My "blue" clam is doing awesome still. I was adding DTs Phyto ever 2-3 days for the clams and other filter feeders.

As for my method of maintaining the CA level... I was following 2-little Fishes recomendation for a 50 gal tank. probably less then what I should use, but i'm concerned with over doing it. I can say since stopping the C-Balance (after the tear drop death) my corals have slowed down... growth rate is less. I believe the quantity was 1 tables spoon every day... I did 1 tablespoon every other day.

Jonathan, I will ask my step father for the name of the book. It didn't say not to dose, but stated Stront could cause problems.

Again, thanks for the replies, and sorry for the long delay in getting back here.

Rich

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Nothing wrong with C-Balance. My guess is it is just a coincidence and your clam died for other reasons. Teardrops seem to be more sensistive for some reason and seemingly healthy clams, do with some frequency, just turn for the worse quite unexpectedly.

I wouldn't go too long without resuming your Ca/Alk supplementations. Try Kalk. if you are really worried. Good luck.

Randy

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Most of my clams death were from Pyramid snails, did you check for those before it died?

I dose strontium on the regular bases and never notice problems with any of the clams.

Sometimes clams freshly imported take a few weeks to die from stress and not getting enough food\light from the tank. How long did you had it?

Last edited:

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
yea wat are those snails i told you about rich those ones you said were fine and the ones i told you to dump in ur fuge!

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Those weren't Pyramid snails though... Pyramid snails are very samm couple mm long and all white. I had asked the question of Clamsdirect.com as well and they told me those were not pyramid.

I will start with the C-Balance again. Thanks again for the replies.

Rich

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: